Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2006, 09:19 AM

I read a couple of places that you could send a letter to the captain and he might possibly invite you for a tour of the galley and/or bridge. Also, I read that you could send a letter to the head chef on the third night of dinner complimenting the exquisite meals and possibly get invited to dine with him or get sent a basket of goodies. Has anyone tried this with success?
Old 08-19-2006, 09:53 AM

I never heard of this, at least not with Royal Caribbean. The only reason my wife and I get a tour is because we have over 24 cruise with Royal Caribbean and are diamond plus members of the Crown & Anchor Society. There are still some cruises we didn't get a tour because there were to many members. They do make some exceptions, but there is a reason.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Administrator

I've never heard of this either. And why the third night for the chef? I've been on bridge tours with RCCL and NCL. Frankly I was not dazzled by them. On new ships all you have are banks of computer screens, a joystick station, and navigational gear. Because of security reasons, they generally don't do many bridge tours these days. On some RCCL ships (Voyager class) they have a peek-a-boo bridge where you can look down into the bridge from a windowed observation area. They found this to be a distraction to the watch officers and have eliminated it on the Freedom class vessels.

Some Captains are more social than others. Some will eat every night in the dining room, holding court for a table of guests. Others may show up once or twice. And others skip dinner in the dining room altogether. There is no rhyme or reason to who might get invited. You'd think the big money people in the large suites would be shoe in's, but it isn't always so. The closest I ever got was on the Norway in 1994 when the CD sat at our table every night. She was very nice. We got free wine on most nights.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:51 PM

Dave, when you get to Diamond Plus status you will find an invitation for the tours in your cabin. Like you said, not much to dazzle you. The behind the scenes tour is a little more interesting because you get to meet the ship's dancers. Once you're a Diamond member there's not many other perks for being a Plus member. You probably know all of this already...

Sonny
Old 08-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Sonny,

No, still a platinum member. I have done galley tours on Princess and NCL and found them more interesting than the bridge.

I would like to go behind the scenes and see the entertainment side of the house.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:13 PM

On my recent Celebrity cruise on the Century the dancers came around to the tables, introduced themselves, and talked to people at the Captain's party and the Captain' Club party. The way the dancers talked it sounded like it was something new they were doing.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Cruise Fanatic,

I like that! It seems like a nice change of pace to have something other than the standard issue items at the Welcome Aboard and repeater's parties. I am so tired of the usual.....glad hand with the Captain (or some other senior officer), hear tired jokes from the CD, listen to the band play dance music, hear the staff introduced, yada, yada, yada. I'd love to meet the dancers and musicians, the junior officers, and other behind the scenes people that really make the cruise happen.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:07 AM

Go 4 it. I did it on the Legend of the Seas and he accepted it. The Captin was great. Nicolas Amatails. I went to the bridge twice, once whn we asked for it and another time when all the 33 Bahrainis were asked to go for a ture on the bridge. The Staff Captin was Egyption in origin so he invited us wehad a fabulls time go 4 it

PS How can you watch NASCAR !I trided and it was very boring. Watch F1 the pinnacle of motorsport! its the best. Fernando Alonso is the beat. EST FAN 2004

Read and post cruise reviews]
Old 08-23-2006, 05:20 AM

I enjoy NASCAR very much...I also like watching Formula 1. I am just into speed (the racing kind)... I am also going on Rhapsody of the Seas, only I am going in January.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:11 AM
Administrator

As an American member of the "tifosi" one of my fondest memories was being at the first U.S. Grand Prix at Indy and seeing my man Michael Schumacher win. What a rotten day it was though - temps in the 50's, a 20 mph wind blowing right in our faces, and rain. And we had an annoying Mika Hakkinen fan sitting right behind us that keep running his mouth through the whole race. Hakkinen blew up finally, and big mouth took his Foster's oil can and left.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, chief, cruise, diamond, head, letters, members, rccl, royal, upgrade, writing