Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 AM
WOW that ship is impresive!!!
Can't wait to cruise in something like that
ok here is my question:
On an old post
they posted genesis future routes
They include Puerto Rico as an port of call,

Do I have to go to Florida to board ship?

Since I live on Puerto Rico,

Do RCCL has the same service as Carnival were you can borad ship at some point on the route, like they do on Carnival Destiny on Barbados??

I mean go on a plane to Florida and then the next day been in PR, again, is not worth the money...
Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Yes, you can do that but there are restrictions. Here is the info.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM

The ship is truly impressive. A comment: The rooms facing central park will have a real privacy issue. People on the other side can look directly into your room. I forsee voyeurs having a field day. If the windows and doors are not tinted, one will have to be careful about closing one's curtains.

While the rooms may be attractive to "people watchers" (watching people stroll through the park), my preference will still be a balcony facing the ocean.

I will be interested to see what new process they develop for disembarking 5,400 passengers. They will have to have more than two points of exit, but will foreign port customs have enough lines and agents to process passengers on a timely basis.

I am assuming that they will select ports that can handle a ship of that size, but wonder if the number of passengers will prohibit ports that require tendering. I am sure RCL has looked into these (and other issues) and has solutions to all potential problems, but I suspect the first cruise will have a few bumps.

On the other hand, this ship is so marvelous that many people may not give a hoot about the ports... (at least for the first cruise) this ship is a destination in of itself!

Repositioning cruises will also be interesting, as like other RCL ships, this one will not fit through the Panama Canal.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-17-2008, 12:54 PM

The over looking balconies are no different than the Royal Promenade Picture window rooms they have on the Voyager class ships now. With those you can see across. So I imagine the same "make sure the curtains are closed" thinking applies to the Genisis ship also.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-17-2008, 02:15 PM

WOW! Just saw the video, could not get it to work yesterday. Central park is beautiful! Bet people will have to take out a second mortgage to be on that! Makes most of the other ships look old.On a good guess, when do you all think they will start booking?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator

They won't start booking until at least after the naming ceremony which is supposed to be in May. Both ships will be named as part of the contest held with USA Today.

Any bets on how quickly the maiden voyage sells out?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:55 PM

Had I known they were going to have "neighborhoods" and a "central park" I would have submitted "Metropolis of the Seas" in the naming contest instead of what I did.

I doubt "Any bigger and we will sink of the seas" is going to win...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 PM

Can't wait to see what Carnival does to beat this. Should be interesting.

Wasn't there something mentioned on the Discovery Channel about a ship that was going to be built that would be so big it would have an airstrip on top for planes to land?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Can't wait to see what Carnival does to beat this. Should be interesting.
I like Carnival, but frankly they haven't even responded to the Voyager class ships as far as innovation goes.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:12 PM

Does anyone plan on booking the maiden voyage?? What about you Dave? Being on the maiden voyage of the Freedom of the Seas, with you Dave, did you think the extra money was worth it. What are your thoughts? It was cool, in Jamaica, where they gave us the free Shaggy concert. However, in the photo area, I remember talking to a crew member, that I thought at least they should of done something special for us. She replied, "oh we already did all that earlier". Maybe a couple of the boats that spout out water, (I don't know they're name) that we would sail through out of the port. Something, other then a certificate, as an after thought. I just don't think it was worth the EXTRA money we paid. Yeah, it was cool, to know we were going on the maiden voyage. Anyways, my husband was saying "maybe we could go on the maiden voyage" for the genesis class. Now, I could get hyped up VERY easy, and not even think twice about booking the maiden voyage. But then I probably would have these same thoughts. Even the price difference for the maiden voyage, and the second voyage was huge. Anyways, any thoughts?? Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, genesis, ship