Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by moeve:
They missed a connection because Delta gave up their seats to stand bye pax 20 min prior to SHEDUALED departure not actual departure - the plane was still at the gate with open doors when our members got to the gate. But Delta denied them boarding...
moeve, thank you for the additional information.

Did the other post indicate from where they were flying? He mentioned 19 hours of flying time...did it involve an overseas flight? The reason I ask is that when I fly within the US and make connections (which I do quite a bit), I am always given the boarding pass for the second flight along with the boarding pass for the first. Seat assignments are always included on both. Was the first flight on Delta, too?
Old 06-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Lisa,

Funny you should mention all those things to have on you. As I type this I am printing off copies of my e-docs, hotel confirmation for the pre-cruise, my Delta itinerary, my travel insurance policy, my shuttle van confirmation, and making fresh copies of our passport photo pages. I also save all of these documents as .pdf files to a folder which I will then move to a flash drive - which will also be going on the cruise! Flash drives are great. When we cruise I always put important files on a flash drive (online banking, etc.) so if I come home to a burned down or burglarized house I'll still have a backup of important files.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Administrator

The OP is from mid-America, not sure if he was flying from there.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Administrator

I'm guessing that what happened is that the OP was booked on two different airlines. If that was the case, it would not be Delta's fault. They wouldn't know the pax was enroute unless they had a complete itinerary and if both airlines were part of SkyTeam Alliance (Northwest, Continental). Had the OP been booked on the same airline straight through, he would have been checked in for the second flight also with boarding passes in hand for both flights.

This isn't all that uncommon -- I see it all the time on sites such as Orbitz and Expedia, and the flights may sometimes be less expensive than going with one airline.

For those finding themselves in this situation, see if it's possible for you to check in online for both of your flights. This can typically be done within 24 hours of the flight. It's not always possible, though -- I ran into this situation once last year. But I had something like 6 hours between flights (business meetings in the first city), so it wasn't an issue for me.

But back to our original story -- there's got to be more to it. What was the first airline? How much time was between flights? I hope the OP returns so that we can learn more and therefore offer some advice.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:03 AM

It was Delta only and only within the US. The 19 hours included the return home flight which was also not straight forward....

This should be a waring to all of RCCL books the cheapest flight it can get and they don't care how much hassle or nerves it costs YOU. Book your own flight period!!
Old 06-17-2007, 05:56 AM
Administrator

In the absence of the OP, I'm still playing the guessing game. Perhaps they did not have seat assignments? Still, something's amiss if the flights were all on one carrier and the OP was not checked in for both flights together. There's got to be more to the story. I fly several times a month, often making connections, and Delta has always provided boarding passes for both legs. Once you have the boarding pass, with seat assignments, you do not have to check in again at the gate. At least that has not been my experience.

I do agree that it's more prudent for cruise pax to schedule their own flights. All cruise lines, not just RCCL, select the lowest-cost flights, and that often means bad connections (either too long or too short), possibly more than one airline, strange routings, and traveling companions not sitting near each other on the plane. And all do not take responsibility for missed connections. As Dave said, the cruise line will help you get another flight if you are delayed, but they won't do so automatically. Pax still have to ask. And, this is another reason to get travel insurance that covers missed connections.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:54 AM

Lisa Delta and all other airline for that matter see their flights are over booked or have stand by pax will start giving up seats at the 20 min mark.... I saw this last year in EWR (Newark) the Transat flight to Frankfurt was completely sold out and at boarding they had 7 passengers too many. They asked for 5 volenteers 3 of which were my family. While doing our paperwork the second agent was holding a look out for 2 platium Elites on the flight from Philli. The flight was already on the ground and these 2 were already on the run any way the gate agent told her partner they are not going to make it!! and that was it. Unfortunately fo CO those 2 passengers did make it and the in this case too the plane was still at the gate with doors open and they had boarding passes BUT they were not allowed to board. They found themselves on the same flight we were on the next day but because of their status they got uprgraded and we just got the vouchers.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

It's pointless to argue this without knowing the OP's full story. When you see him on the other board, please invite him back here so that we may offer some guidance.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Yes, I'd like the OP to return and give us more details. I get frustrated by drive-by posters who want to vent their anger on as many boards as possible and never return. I hope this isn't the case for this person, because we'd really like to hear more and offer our advice and opinions.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 AM

Basically, we left home (Kansas City) via Delta at 720am. Connection flight to Miami in Atlanta, again with Delta at 1058am. We backed away from Gate on time only to be delayed on tarmac by ATC (allegedly), again delayed in the air (weather, although the entire flight was clear sky), then delayed again on landing in front of gate for no reason. By that time its was 1045am. We ran to next gate only to have door shut on us while last passenger was walking down gate. Next flight left at 1215pm to Miami, we were upgraded to 1st class (only thing available) only to be delayed in air due to weather (legitimate). We finally landed at 515pm with boat departing at 5pm. Next POC was Nassau (2 days later) so we decided that going home was better than only spending a half day cruising time. RCCL and Delta both deny any responsibility and will not refund anything because ins. was not purchased. Our only issue is that we should have made the plane that was originally booked, they knew we were on the ground, they knew we were unloading, our bags made the plane but we did not. We have written letters to both RCCL and Delta in hopes that they will credit us another cruise/flight since they were booked as package deal through RCCL. This forum/blog's intentions are to rant and rave, as well as seek advise as what else we can do. Thanks to all suggestions in advance.

Closed Thread

Tags
air, airlines, caribbean, carribean, credit, cruise, cruises, delta, due, flight, line, missed, outbound, plan, royal, time