Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 AM

Taking my daughter on our 1st cruise next month. Flying into the Orlando Airport...the RCI shuttle seems a bit expensive, has anybody taken a taxi? Is that an option? How does the price compare? Once we return, would we have difficulty getting a cab back to the airport? Thanks!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 AM

Hi Kris2008! Welcome to Cruise Chat!

Its about a 40 mile drive from the airport to the Port. You don't want to attempt that in a taxi. You might be able to find a limo service that would do it, but I have never investigated that option.

We found renting a car (one way rental) to be the cheapest option if you have more than 2 people. You rent the car, drop it off at the rental office in Port Canaveral and they bus you to the port. They pick you up on the return end and you rent a car back to the airport.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, Kris2008.

The cab fare is well over $100 one-way. Trust me. I had to take a cab from the ship to the airport a few years ago when my limo didn't show up. It is probably more like $150 now, given the gas prices.

Renting a car is a good option. Another option is a shuttle service. Mears Transportation is a huge operator in Orlando. They have vans and buses going back and forth to the port almost non-stop.

I used the RCI shuttle a couple weeks ago and was pleased by the service and courtesy they provided. A downside to taking a big shuttle bus is you have to usually wait until they get the bus full before they leave. This can be annoying on the ride back after the cruise. I sat at the pier for over an hour waiting to leave.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kris2008:
Taking my daughter on our 1st cruise next month. Flying into the Orlando Airport...the RCI shuttle seems a bit expensive, has anybody taken a taxi? Is that an option? How does the price compare? Once we return, would we have difficulty getting a cab back to the airport? Thanks!
Kris, I used a limo service a few years back and found it very good. It may depend on who you select. I can give you the name and phone number of who I used if you want to ask me at a private chat. We were on the Glory at the time and were delayed coming into port. Our limo was one of the few that stayed to greet us. I think he was great.

At the time it was $105 one way and a transfer from Carnival was $25 each, so 4 people to call it break even. It was more convienant, the one time I took the Carnival shuttle we arrived at Miami airport mid morning and waited on the bus for other passengers and got to the ship 5 hours later. I can't help but think we could have been playing on the Lido deck all that time. It's a vacation I'd spend the money for the convienance.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:40 AM

Amen to that. Our first cruise with the kids in 2003 we sat inhaling exhaust fumes in the shuttle waiting area for an hour until they had a full load to go to the ship. We discovered on subsequent trips to Miami that a cab for four was actually less money per person! We used the RCCL shuttle bus in Orlando to board the Mariner. Either end of the journey it was only a 15 minute wait at most to get it full--we must have flown in at a peak time, and of course almost everyone getting off the ship is going to the airport. It was pretty painless. Doesn't sound like is always is but we had no complaints.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the advice everybody! I'll take a look at all the options and see what'll work best for us. Appreciate the help!

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, caribbean, caribean, carribean, cruise, cruisereviews, florida, flying, norweigean, orlando, royal, sanford, ship, shuttle, transportation