Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 01:33 PM

I know that there was a post about weather in late December/early January.. but my question is a litte more detailed. I'm cruising to the Bahamas on December 15-18. All of the replies say the weather is going to be nice. Nice is such a relative term. Nice, as in... "I'm from Michigan so 60 degrees is completely acceptable for swimming?" or nice, as in, "it's 75 degrees outside but way too cold to swim if you live in Florida year round and are quite accustomed to 90 degree weather."

Because I have cruised more than anyone I'm traveling with, they expect that I should know this. I've never cruised in December before! I'm a little worried that snorkeling is out of the picture!! Someone please tell me what the water is like in December.. and if it's really windy. Thanks a million!

Missjess0112

Caribbean Hotels & Resorts
Old 09-21-2006, 02:41 PM

Hi Missjess

I have traveled to the bahamas 6 times in Dec and 2 times in Jan and the weather has always been comfortable (75 Degrees) to (90 Degress). You did not state which port you are leaving from and that would tell you how to dress while boarding the ship. But I have never known anyone who needed winter or fall clothes in the Bahamas. You may need them where you board at if it is north of Ft Lauderdale but not there or south of it. Anytime you have a question feel free to ask. I have been on a lot of cruises and visited the Bahamas a lot also.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 09-22-2006, 07:40 AM

The water temperature is normally in the low 80s. If you're from the north, you will be fine. I am from Ft. Lauderdale, I need a wet suit because I'm a whimp. I also need a sweater at night, because below 90, I get cold easily. I hope that is specific enough. Best wishes!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:59 AM

Thanks! Penny, I think we're in the same boat (figuratively speaking)... I am a whimp. We're leaving out of Port Canaveral.. but I live in Tallahassee so I'll know how to dress for the port when I wake up in the morning. It's the Bahamas I was worried about. I remember going in March once and the water was really cold. Maybe that's because it had all winter to get cold? Thanks again for the help, both of you!

Missjess

Old 09-22-2006, 09:49 AM

Really cold to me IS the lower 80s. I prefer it to be in the 90s, sort of like a nice bath.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:19 AM

Wow! Great to hear about the weather and that the water can be so warm! I am used to swim in 68-72 and I think that is nice...almost warm. I am going to the Bahamas in November, can't wait! Will be a totally new experience to swin in such warm water. Greetings from Finland :-)
Old 09-22-2006, 11:31 AM

Hey Penny, you are a whimp! We swim in Lake Michagan where the water temperature get up to a balmy 68 degrees in August. The ocean is like bath water to us. Have you ever heard of the Polar bear club? They go for a swim every New Years day. No, I'm not that nuts. They would call me a WHIMP...

Sonny
Old 09-22-2006, 01:18 PM

I've even watched the Polar Bear club nuts (on tv-too cold for in person). They're a whole lot braver than me.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:51 AM

Okay... I can totally relate to this conversation. My dad is from Boine City, MI and Florida winter waters (in the 60's) were "nice" to him. Going to the beach was always an adventure.. If we went in the summer, my dad wouldn't get in the water b/c he said it was gross and felt like bath water. If we went in the winter, he was the ONLY one in the water! Well, he and the other 20 snowbirds from Michigan. Crazy People!!

Closed Thread

Tags
75, bahamas, cold, cruise, dec, december, degree, dress, ocean, temp, temperature, temperatures, temperture, water, weather