Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 AM

Hi... first time posting and first time cruising... my soon-to-be wife and I are honeymooning on the Mariner of the Seas in May, and through the tourguide we only were able to get the "second" seating for dinner. I know this is a stupid sounding question probably, but is having the scond seating a bad thing? Will we miss shows on the boat by eating late? What about the "formal" dinners? Will the captian be there for it, etc? I'm thinking that the first seating is probably much better? Or is second seating okay, too?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:14 AM

Hi chilipop, welcome to Cruise-Chat. When we do assigned seating, we prefer second over first. The main reason is, you don't have to rush to get ready when you're returning from excursions. You can relax, go and have a pre-dinner cocktail or two and enjoy your dinner. They have 2 shows each evening, one for main seating and one for second seating. You very rarely see the captain in the dining room, but you will meet him at the captain's reception. It's the welcome aboard party or the captain's party, there are a number of different titles, but it's all the same thing. Another plus to late seating is they're not rushing to finish the dinner for the next seating. Congratulations on your up-coming wedding! Best wishes for a fantastic honeymoon and a wonderful cruise!!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 AM

Thank you very very much for that great information! I'm not as "worried" now about the late seating... your points are all very good and I, too, like to relax during dinner and not be rushed. I didn't even think about that - that they would hurry you up through the first seating. Thanks again, and thanks for the well-wishes!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:52 AM

As my neighbor woulds ask - "Are you some sort of old person who needs to get to bed early? Do you have annoying little kids that need to eat early? No? Then take the second seating." haha (no offense to anyone who fits either of those descriptions - take it up with my neighbor )

seriously, i think the second seating is MUCH better and you won't miss a thing
Old 03-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Ok, I'll give the alternative viewpoint. I prefer the first seating. I have never been rushed to leave for the second seating, and my main concern was that I didn't want to go to bed with a full stomach-also, there may be several times when there is a late nite buffet in the dining room which, if you ate late, you may not be able to enjoy. I (we) like to eat early (which is normally 6pm ship's time)and then enjoy the shows, wander the ship, enjoy the people watching, shop, etc., all the other wonderful things there are to do onboard.
I'm one of those who enjoy the ship and the trip more than the shore things to do-however, when we do something on shore, we try to make the early times, so that we are never rushed to get back on board, and run the risk of becoming a citizen of whatever island we happen to be docked at when the ship leaves port.
As said before, congratulations, and you'll LOVE Mariner.
Have fun!!

Need some cruise help?
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim1012:
Ok, I'll give the alternative viewpoint. I prefer the first seating. I have never been rushed to leave for the second seating, and my main concern was that I didn't want to go to bed with a full stomach-also, there may be several times when there is a late nite buffet in the dining room which, if you ate late, you may not be able to enjoy. I (we) like to eat early (which is normally 6pm ship's time)and then enjoy the shows, wander the ship, enjoy the people watching, shop, etc., all the other wonderful things there are to do onboard.
I'm one of those who enjoy the ship and the trip more than the shore things to do-however, when we do something on shore, we try to make the early times, so that we are never rushed to get back on board, and run the risk of becoming a citizen of whatever island we happen to be docked at when the ship leaves port.
As said before, congratulations, and you'll LOVE Mariner.
Have fun!!
Hi Jim1012, I couldn't have phrased it any better. Unless you're a person who likes to stay up till 3 in the morning I can't understand anyone who would want to get up from the dinner table with a full stomach at 10 PM. That's the beauty of cruising- something for everyone.
I can also understand not wanting to be rushed for diner but if you take your time to get ready & eat at 8 PM you're missing out on some shows which are schedule before diner. (and for me it means having to sit through the show on formal nights in my suit- not something I'd like to do on vacation)
Old 03-03-2008, 03:32 PM

Oh boy... so, with all this said... if I wanted to change to the first seating for dinner, how would I go about doing this? It's going to be our Honeymoon cruise, and I want to try to have everything flow smoothly. Thanks everyone for all of your input on this.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Gotta love cruising, something for everyone. I have always enjoyed second seating, but on a recent cruise with my mother, it was just too late for her schedule. And I promised if she would cruise again with me, first seating it would be. Yet on my own, I would still prefer second seating, too hard to fit my afternoon nap in......hee-hee.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 03-03-2008, 03:50 PM

First, if you have one, try your travel agent, they the most experienced at getting this done. Second, call your cruise line, and you will probably be wait-listed for first seating. Then you wait for your documents to arrive. Then, if you still have second seating, see the Maitre D who will outside the dining room for just this purpose, as you board, or the time specified in your daily cruise agenda. One of these will work for just the two of you, don't be afraid to throw the "special honeymoon" reference, or a small tip.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
This is one reason I like the NCL Freestyle cruising...You can eat any time between 5:30 and 10:00....but when we do travel RCCL, we prefer the 1st seating....only because I don't want to eat so late....Princess has gone to Personal Choice dining..one restaurant is set aside for anytime dining...You have to make the choice between that and traditional....I also read somewhere, one of the RCCL ships was dedicating one of the triple tiered main restaurants as an anytime dining too...testing the waters I would think....anyway...no matter when you have dinner...just enjoy the wonderful world of cruising....

Happy Sailing,

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
1st, 2nd, anytime, celebrity, change, cruise, cruiseline, dining, dinner, early, norwegian, rccl, rcclseating, seating, ships, traditional