Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2006, 10:32 AM

Navigator of the Seas 1/13/2007 stops in PR, and being frugal I love getting the best buy. Since, Bacardi Rum is produced in PR is it cheaper there than the VI's? We have always bought our liquor and jewelry in the Virgin Islands, because it is the cheapest port we have found, plus you can bring back more liquor duty free.

I was really disappointed to read that the Bacardi tour was not of the distillery but a Museum with Rum Punch. Decided our group including my son SWM33NavyVet and 4 Red Hatters and spouses would be better off finding a really fun bar instead. (Bacardi Tour has no admission, I figured by the time we paid for transportation to get there, going to a bar would be cheaper and more fun.)

LESSON SHARED: If we buy more liquor than is allowed duty free, we declare it. I am not thrilled standing in line, but the consequences aren't worth the risk. Ron and I were able to bring in an extra bottle each with no duty charges. Per the Govt Agent -- the duty was less than the dollar amout they collected. This could of changed and they collect all taxes due, but they didn't several years ago. By not declaring the two extra bottles the Govt Agenct informed us if we were caught we could face Federal offenses.

If anyone is going on the Navigator of the Seas on January 13, 2007 please contact me at trvl****@bellsouth.net. I know our President has already declared "one night" we dress in Reh Hat attire.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:00 PM

Hi Kathryn,
I was searching through the vast dark corners of my mind, and I think it was less expensive in St. Thomas. We usually buy the local rum, but I seem to remember purchasing some Bacardi in St. Thomas that was a real bargain. Hopefully someone else that does not have CRS (can't remember shXX)like I do can answer you more definitely. Best wishes and welcome aboard!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:45 PM

I would love seeing the red hats out on formal night! Bringing booze back is really more "souvenir" collecting than frugality though, considering the extra trouble packing and keeping up with it. If just one bottle breaks, or leaks because of airplane cabin pressure, the ruined clothes will greatly offset any savings on the liquor. I can attest to that. I now only bring back certain cream liqeurs that are not available here.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 11-16-2006, 04:57 PM

Actually one of the cruises I went on last year we visited those 2 islands and Nassau. The cruises ship actually had the standard Bacardi's and flavored ones cheaper in the gift shop than PR or VI. Even Nassau had it cheaper. At least on the main areas that the tourist go to. I actually do not get off the ship that often anymore in PR. I did the last time just to get some gifts for friends.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 11-16-2006, 05:08 PM

I forgot the top shelf Bacardi was cheaper in PR. If you see a Rum called Pussers Rum try it it puts Bacardi to total shame I also like the Pirates Pistol brand also. Bacardi makes a Bacardi 1873 rum it is totally awesome try it if you see it but only alone no coke or chaser its a true sipping rum not a mixing rum.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 12-03-2006, 02:09 PM

I want to thank everyone for their replies. We are driving and with 3 adults -- we will buy alot of alcohol.

We have found St Thomas has been the best place to buy and the prices are so much cheaper than the US.

I will probably buy a bottle of Bacardi in Puerto Rico then the rest in St. Thomas.
If I remember when I get back I will post the answer.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:22 PM

Check out MinistryofRum.com for great rums that can be found in the islands. 1873 by Bacardi is excellent. But there are others
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 AM

We purchased 4 liters (not 750ml) of Bacardi Rum for $9 each at the gift shop on Radiance. Their sale included a nice backpack if you bought 4. We filled out the customs form since we had 2 per person, but were essentially waved out of there without having to pay any additional duty.

Our biggest mistake was finding a wonderful Tequila liqueur in Cozumel, and not buying it because we thought we already were taking too much through customs. It was SO good!

Closed Thread

Tags
agent, bacardi, bottle, cheaper, cheeper, chepper, comparable, duty, free, liquor, martin, puerto, rico, rum, st