Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 01:30 PM

has anyone known of the freedom of the seas to change the places it goes. I talked to a rccl reservationist and they said that for next year the islands they visit could change. We are planning to go on the western carribean.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:09 PM

I haven't been informed of any changes but they can and sometimes do make such changes.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-12-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm sure that I'm in a minority, but RCCL could loose Ocho Rios- I hated that stop! I thought that it was a dump.
They do seem to have dropped Nassau(Eastern trip)-I also wasn't impressed there; you couldn't even get off the pier without being almost attacked by the locals selling something!NOT my idea of a vacation-
We're going back to the Western Caribbean again this year, and we won't get off the ship in Ocho Rios-there's plenty to do on board. I'm sure that there are people here who will not agree with me, but that's ok too-everyone has their opinion and preferences.
Western-you'll love Labadee, and Grand Cayman and Cancun!!

Need some cruise help?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:23 PM

Will I really hate ocho rios? I was so exited to go back to Jamaica. I loved MoBay! Is ocho Rios that different?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Like I said, I didn't like it. I'm sure that there are many who liked and it want to go back-I'm just not one of them. That's ok tho, that's why there is so much other stuff to do-OR, NOT do. If you liked Jamaica before, then you'll probably find something there to your fancy.
Have a great cruise!!

Need some cruise help?
Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by livetotravel:
Will I really hate ocho rios? I was so exited to go back to Jamaica. I loved MoBay! Is ocho Rios that different?
IMO Ocho Rios is a much nicer port then Mo Bay.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:13 AM

The last time we were in Ocho Rios was 1996, so it could have changed, but we didn't like it at all. All things being equal, I wouldn't get off there again either. Heck, we didn't even get off in Montego Bay!

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas
Old 02-18-2008, 07:58 AM

JIM2TAK, I think a lot of people are turned off by the constant pressuring of locals to sell items, often illegal items. Jamaica is a beautiful island, but a very poor island. Tourism is the only viable source of income the island has, therefore, many locals resort to selling items to tourists. We were in Ocho Rios in December '06. I enjoyed it, once I got by the hoards of locals. I, personally, prefer it to Montego Bay and Kingston. Just stay in tourist areas and don't go off on your own and you should be fine. Dunn's River Falls is a great excursion, we also did a catamaran sail/snorkel there (I've had better snorkeling elsewhere) that was fun, and we've taken an excursion to the Fern Grotto (Valley) that was beautiful. Just say no and keep walking or go with a tour group.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:00 AM

I agree, Jamaica is beautiful and I would never stay on the ship.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:20 AM

Jamaica is a beautiful island but I'm with Jim1012. When I cruise again and either Jamaica port is on my itin, I'll be staying onboard. Once you've done Dunn's River Falls once, although it is a good excursion, I don't care to be hassled by the very aggressive locals.

Whatever you do, this is not the island to venture out on your own away from a group. Book an excursion there if you're going to visit Jamaica. Wandering on your own is not advisable in Jamaica, Belize or Costa Rica. There are probably a few others that are not coming to mind as quickly. A good rule of thumb is, if it's your first time to a port, any port, stick with a group.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread