Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2005, 02:03 PM

I am 15 and my family and I will be traveling on the Voyager to Bermuda this May. Its our first cruise and we are all very excited. Any recommendations for shore excursions or ship activites.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:39 AM

Welcome to cruise-chat. There are lots of choices for activities in Bermuda, but I do not recall seeing anyone offering to do hair braiding in Bermuda. Bermuda is not one of the Caribbean islands and has a totally different cultural diversity than what you see in the Caribbean. There is a lot of information about activities at each of the Bermuda ports at our sister site PortReviews. Here is the direct link:
http://www.bermudaportreviews.com/
Check out that information and if you have any questions, I will be happy to respond.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-28-2005, 05:24 PM

thank you so much. I wasn't sure about the whole culture thing since we really havent traveled to much of anywhere except to florida once. But it was very helpful. If anyone else has comments please let me kno! thanx
Old 03-06-2005, 08:35 AM

Hello! My wife and I went to Bermuda the last time on Celebrity's ZENITH in July 2001. As Nancy said, there is a world of difference between Bermuda and most of the Caribbean. Bermuda is beautiful and exceptionally clean, with a definite British influence. The local residents are very friendly and English (although sometimes the "King's English") is the primary language. Visiting Bermuda aboard ship is the best way to go, as the local hotels and restaurants tend to be a bit pricy. I'm a SCUBA diver and thought I had died and gone to Heaven there. I think there is a shipwreck to explore about every 100 yards all around the island! My wife compensates for the time I spend underwater by shopping! Even if you don't dive, you can snorkel in some gorgeous places. There are also some glass-bottom boat trips available, which offer spectacular underwater views. The beaches in Bermuda are beautiful and, unlike most of the Caribbean, you will not be plagued by locals trying to sell you something. My favorite beach is Horseshoe Bay. If you enjoy historical places, there are also some interesting places to visit. Don't miss the old fort (and shopping!) at Kings's Warf. Also, there is an outstanding museum dedicated to the Civil War era blockade running ships. Hope you have a great time!
Old 03-06-2005, 05:32 PM

Thanks so much. We have heard Horseshoe Bay is the beach to go and plan on doing that. We are also planning on doing a little bit of first time snorkling and definatly SHOPPING. Any one know if the dolphin swim in the Navel Dockyard is worth it?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:41 PM

I don't know anything about the Naval Dockyard dolphin swim, but the fort and the restored former Island Administrator's house there is worth seeing and there are some good shopping places. Snorkeling is s-o-o-o-o-o easy! Just relax and you will have the time of your life. Even though I was a fairly competent swimmer, I was always a bit afraid of the water until I did some snorkeling in Hawaii. It was so beautiful, it lead me into SCUBA diving and now I dive in some amazing places. Some of the dive boats will take divers and snorkelers at the same time. Then, you can snorkel and watch the divers below. If you go to Horseshoe Beach to swim, there is a historic lighthouse very close to the beach you might visit. I'm not sure where your ship will be docking (there are three main docking sites in Bermuda), but the city of Hamilton should be a "don't miss". Again, I hope you have a wonderful visit.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:46 PM

thanks so much! We are actually only in Bermuda for 2 days But we def. plan to go to Horseshoe Bay and snorkling. Can you go snorkling off the beach or something because mommy doesnt wanna go far out in the ocean? I think daddy plans on visiting alot of the historic places
Old 03-07-2005, 05:39 PM

Hello again! The last time we were in Bermuda (July 2001), there was a company offering snorkeling at the base of the fort in the Royal Navy Dockyards area. You might check that out. Also, most of the snorkeling boat trips do not go very far off shore. The Island chain is surrounded by reefs (thus, all the sunken ships!) and the waters are relatively shallow close-in. I would not recommend that you try to snorkel off the beach. The rip-currents there are sometimes pretty bad. By the way, I told you in an earlier message that Hamilton was the "don't miss" town. That was incorrect. The town you don't want to miss is ST. GEORGES. Also, check our www.bermudashorts.bm for some more information, more Bermuda web links, and some good photos of the country. In particular, click on "Bermuda Links" at the top left of the home page and then click on "Bermuda Online". Lots of good information there. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2005, 06:36 PM

Thanks. I will check the site out fist thing tomorrow morning
Old 03-08-2005, 01:17 PM

Looked at it. PArents decided were just gonna wing what we do for the first time. You have been very helpful. I guess snorkling and Horseshoe Bay it is!

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, bermuda, dockyard, excursions, horseshoe, navel, royal, shore