Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 PM

When my friend asked me to go with her I jumped at the chance and asked very few questions. Because of this I have no idea what cabin we're in but since everyone says you spend very little time in the cabin I figured it didn't matter much, am I wrong in assuming this. I didn't even know how many other people were going until just a week ago. I guess our seating is round robin since it's a sizable group from her work.

I know the rooms are small and I read a suggestion of putting up a shoe storage hanger on the door to help organize. Is this really worth it or should we just pare down on the things we need. I also read the list of things to bring and it seemed like too much stuff. Wouldn't it make more sense to bring very few clothes and accessories? I know there is one elegant night but other than that a swimsuit, shorts and workout clothes should be fine right? I don't plan on skimping on the medicines though. How light or heavy does everyone pack?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:03 PM
You're on the right track--pare down; forget the shoe organizer--it will only be in the way. Less is better. You sound like an experienced cruiser already!
We had one poster that said she looked like "Cleopatra headed for the Nile", and some do like to take a lot; but must of us are always looking for ways to cut back.
You are right about the cabin--you don't spend much time there. If you are going with a group you will no doubt be quite active and use the cabin mainly for sleeping and changing.
Have a great trip.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:52 PM

We put up a plastic shoe storage hanger with 3m removable hooks on the closet door. Used it to put in sunscreen, sunglasses, hair brush, etc. It is a great place to store things and not make the place cluttered. You can get the shoe hanger at a dollar store.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:46 PM

I disagree with f-mattox.. sorry... The shoe hanger is a great idea. We tried it for the first time on our last cruise and its one of those things that you ask yourself why you didn't try sooner. You don't use it for shoes.. You use it for all the odds and ends that you get during the cruise that normally clutter up the dressing table/desk. Reciepts, candy, trinkets, note pads, pens, suntan lotion, cameras, wallets etc etc...

It doesn't have to be a fancy one, we found one for a buck at a Dollar Store. Although now that we know how handy they are we will splurge and buy a better one for our next cruise.. But for a buck, even if you decide is not for you, it is a good deal. They fold flat and don't take up a lot of space.

But, do take as little as you feel comfortable with. For the Caribbean, I joke with the wife that all I need is a couple of casual outfits for dinner, my suit for formal night and a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I will get fresh t-shirts at the first port of call anyway. Which is about the truth.. Despite having been on so many cruises, it always seems we bring stuff we don't use.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Jim C., don't be sorry; if we all saw things the same way this would be a pretty dull site.
Fact is, you make such a strong case FOR the shoe hanger I'm going to give it a try.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:07 AM

Another thing I found handy is the magnetic hanger hooks you can hang off the ceiling. You can put them anywhere in the cabin to hang things when you're getting ready. You can buy them in most stores.

Sonny
Old 02-09-2007, 10:59 AM

Great idea Sonny!.. I never thought of that, but that's and I bet you can get those at the dollar store too..
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-11-2007, 11:51 AM

We went on 5 cruises without a shoe bag. On our last cruise, I used the shoe bag and it will now be packed for every cruise we take! It came in so handy. I also bought it at the Dollar Store. Since the counter space in the cabin is limited, we used it mostly for toiletries and that kept the counter uncluttered. I'm sure it made cleaning easier for the cabin attendant. For a dollar, it's worth a try!

Nadine

Closed Thread