Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2005, 11:30 AM

I am going on the Explorer of the Seas soon and would like to bring my own laptop. It has its own wireless feature. I understand I need to go to the internet cafe and get a user name and password in order to use my laptop. If I get the $100 per week package will I be able to access from my room as well as the wireless hotspots? Where are the wireless hotspots? Are the rooms wireless, high speed access (ethernet) or dialup? Has anyone tried using Skype?
Old 09-10-2005, 01:32 PM

I have sailed on Adventure several times. I have had the $100 per week package both times. Here is some information not readily found about the package.

1. You are given a new phone for the cabin and some fairly simple instructions. To activate you must echange the current phone in the room with the new one. Connection is fairly simple. However no instruction are given for APPLE computers but they do work. It will require reconfiguring the Network preferences however. Limited help is available from the ship personnel.

2. This is a DIAL UP MODEM CONNECTION. I found that the connection dropped multiple timesbut you can work off line then connect to send. Obviously it is slow as well.

3.You CANNOT connect to a SECURE SERVER from the ship. So it is great for internet surfing and webemail but will not allow you to connect to a Home or office server.

4. You must return the package before 6pm on Saturday night or you may be charged for it however I have returned it as late as midnight with no adverse affect.

All in all, you need to be a fairly heavy user of internet and web based email to make up the $100 number but ist is convienient to connect in the cabin 24/7.

Regarding Wireless, the wireless system is definately not avilable in the rooms, probably the amunt of metal around. I saw several folks using the wireless in the internet lounge but did not try.
Hope that helps.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:58 PM

Wilson,
I had been considering the in room internet, but your response helped me to decide otherwise... THANKS for the (money saving) tip!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:17 PM

OK- let's go back a sec...rather than assume - which I have found out is NOT a good idea...Are all RC "in room" internet services dial-up? Does anyone know this for sure...Wilson has made some excellent points that would have me change my mind regarding in-room internet...

Closed Thread

Tags
bringing, cruise, explorer, laptop