Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 07:55 AM

Hello everyone,

New to the forum and to cruising. This will be our first cruise on R.C. Empress of the Seas..a repositioning cruise out of Philly Oct. 27th for 9 nights. My question is:

We booked the cheapest inside cabin due to cost..$230 + port charges and taxes....so we jumped on board. Now I'm wondering what the chances are of upgrading once we board...to a balcony if there are any available. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks and happy sailing! : )

Saublewater

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 AM

Hello saublewater, welcome to Cruise-Chat!
The only way you can upgrate to a higher catagory is if you pay the difference in the price. Free upgrades are next to non-existing unless you have a lot of cruise with Royal Caribbean. I had 30 cruises before I ever got an upgrade. I would suggest watching the prices for a balcony cabin. Sometimes the prices will drop and you could upgrade. Hope this helps...

Sonny
Old 09-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Welcome saublewater

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-12-2007, 04:10 PM

I just talked to my auntie today about there alaska cruise they took last week. They were on Holland America. They had the cheapest oceanview room. When they checked in at the ship to board, they were notified, they were upgraded to a balcony room. They have only cruised with them 3 times. Go figure. I guess you never know! Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-13-2007, 05:17 AM
Holy cow, Sauble, that's a great deal!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Lori:
I just talked to my auntie today about there alaska cruise they took last week. They were on Holland America. They had the cheapest oceanview room. When they checked in at the ship to board, they were notified, they were upgraded to a balcony room. They have only cruised with them 3 times. Go figure. I guess you never know! Lil' Lori
Lil' Lori, I heard of rare upgrades like this. I think it's even more rare on RCCL ships. When cabins become available a couple of weeks from the cruise date, diamond plus members are called and asked if they want the upgrade. They call the member with the most cruise credits first, and go down the list. Like I mentioned before, I had 30 cruises before my first upgrade. I alway asked about an upgrade when on the ship, and was always told the ship was full. On my cruise last week, I was upgraded from a balcony stateroom to a junior suite. It was my 38th cruise. I talked to some people that were upgraded to Grand Suites. they had over 50 cruises. Upgrades are only to the next catagory. If I had booked an inside cabin, I would'nt have been upgraded unless an outside cabin was available. Anyone that gets an upgrade like your auntie, should run out and buy a lottery ticket before the ship sails.

Sonny
Old 09-13-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks Cortney...I too could not pass it up. Great deal for our first ever cruise...we are A.I.'s and love the beach....this could be our first and last cruise or maybe we'll be hooked like so many others. Thanks for the info...will keep checking to see if prices drop.

saublewater

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
america, cabin, caribbean, carnival, chance, chances, charge, checkin, cruise, fees, holland, royal, stateroom, upgrade, upgrading