Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 07:46 AM

I will be going on my first cruise - ever! I know about the dinning room dress codes as this is posted every where, but my concern is what to wear at the pools, deck and beaches during excursions?

I'm a regular at my local swim club, and have no qualms wearing a speedo for its functionality; and its practicality for tanning. Given how Americans' view speedos differently, will I be given a hard time should I wear my speedos on this cruise, or have all the speedo critisim I've heard been just bad hearsay?

Thanks for any insights.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:55 AM

Yes swim wear does matter. I am a 45 year old male and I was stationed in Greece for a while. Of course there you only wore a speedo. When I came back to the US I was asked at my apartment complex pool if I would please put on some shorts because the manager couldn't get her girls to do any work. This is not to say that I was that great looking, but the excitement of a man in a bikini bottom (sorry) was not the norm and everyone had to get a glance.

I did find myself noticing certain gentlemen wearing Speedo's on our last cruise, they stood out and I'm sure they felt uncomfortable. It could have been that they were 60+ years old and their bellies hung over the speedo...but that's not for me to say. Other younger cruisers wearing speedo's didn't mind because their boy friends liked it.

SOOOO, it is your call, wear it and be judged or wear it and don't give a darn, just be yourself. I wear shorts down to my knees because that is what my four boys wear and that is hip....cool...whatever the lango is.

cruise on and do what you want, you paid for the cruise. Think of this some women wear thongs that shouldn't be allowed to wear less than a raincoat to the pool or beach. They get looks, but do they really care....

see ya!!!

Explorer 02-06
Mariner of the Seas
with the boys
Old 01-09-2006, 03:11 PM

Hands On,
Mercedesno gives good advice - do what makes YOU comfortable and don't worry about others. Actually, the last few RC cruises I have been on have had a fair share of European cruisers, therefore, more speedos in eveidence than on previous cruises and I don't recall it being an issue.

Actually, I have the complete opposite issue to deal with. I will be on a South America cruise next month and will be in Rio for 3 days during Carnaval. Since I am a beach person, everyone has told me that to blend in I must trade in my standard bathing suit for a Brazilian bikini. Now, I am no longer 30 something (or even 40 something) so this may be quite a stretch and my "proper" midwest modesty is at odds with my "free-spirited" cruising persona. Ah, what to do????

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-10-2006, 10:43 AM

My advice works for both genders. Do what you feel most comfortable in. I felt comfortable at 20's wearing a speedo in Greece, but would not feel the same way today in mid 40's today. If everyone else had speedo's and thongs, I may look out of place but I sure will enjoy the show.

Do what is best for you. You look wonderful in God's eyes no matter what you wear.

Explorer 02-06
Mariner of the Seas
with the boys
Old 03-30-2006, 08:02 AM

You know what? Speedo, thongs, string bikinis, shorts, etc. doesn't matter one iota!

As long as you are covered, everybody minds their own business. Okay, maybe a guy in a thong on a cruise ship may be a little 'overboard', but speedos are fine.

There were about 15 guys there in various forms of speedos, ranging from 20's to 50's yo.

I wore my speedos, and did generate decent interest from the girls (especially later on in the cruise). I was 'forced' to participate in the belly flop contest - in my speedos none the less, and also in the pool challenge later in the week.

I had my buddy video me for the record, and am glad I did what I did wearing what I did!

Thanks for all helpful advice here...many will have benefited from this thread!!

I say, wear what you're comfortable with as everyone else does what they want and you do too.

Closed Thread

Tags
apartment, carnival, complex, cruise, lines, males, norweigan, pool, ship, speedo, speedos, swim, thongs, wear, wearing, yaer