Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2004, 12:37 PM

Has anyone been on the Sovereign of the Seas since it was in drydock? it was suposed to have been totally redone.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:37 PM

Has anyone been on the Sovereign of the Seas since it was in drydock? it was suposed to have been totally redone.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:29 PM

Thanks for asking this question. Iíve been waiting to see if anyone comments about the renovations afer the December 17th and 20th departures. I'm booked for my 4th cruise on Sovereign in early January.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:13 PM

ACTUALLY, I WILL BE SAILING ON SOS ON DECEMBER 13. THIS WILL BE THE FIRST SINCE RENOVATIONS. I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF COMMENTS ABOUT THE APPEARANCE OF THE SHIP, AND AM EXCITED TO BE THE FIRST TO SAIL. THIS IS MY FIRST CRUISE, SO I'M A LITTLE APPREHENSIVE ABOUT WHAT TO PACK. I WILL SURE TO LET YOU KNOW HOW THE SHIP LOOKS AS SOON AS I GET BACK. I'M OFF TO FINISH MY PACKING. WE ARE LEAVING IN LESS THAN 72 HOURS FOR 3 DAYS AT DISNEY IN ORLANDO BEFORE WE SAIL. I HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:50 AM

Can't wait to hear your review, we sail on the Sovereign 1/24/2005.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:11 AM

I am very glad to be back home after my cruise on Sovereign. It was not very pleasant, and I am asking Royal Caribbean for a full refund. The ship was not near ready to sail. The renovations were not complete. The two new resturants were not ready to be opened. The new carpeting was rippled, causing people to trip. The dust from remodeling was everywhere. The crew were somber and not friendly, let alone helpful. The service from room service to the resturants was extremely slow. It took 45 minutes to recieve a bucket of ice in my state room after 2 phone calls. We were lucky, our phone and tv were working. Many were not. The plumbing in many rooms was not working. Showers were flooding into state rooms. Toilets wouldn't flush. The air conditioning wasn't working. We had to keep our door open at all times, just to breath. We even slept wiht the door open. Our keys didn't work the doors upon arrival and every guest had to stand in one line to recieve a new key. Instead of enjoying our extra hours exploring the ship because we boarded early, our carry on's were locked in our room,( we entered and shut the door, and couldn't get back in), we had to spend hours with everyone in a long hot line. Every central area was very, very warm. There were no chairs to sit on deck 7. Don't bother ordering room service, ours came 1 hour EARLY, but was the wrong order, then 1 hour late they finally called to say our order was soon ready. We told them to forget it. Don't eat in the dining room if you don't want to waste at least 2 hours. And then again, that made the Windjammer, self-service, was extremely packed, causing long lines and cold food, and then no seats to sit and eat the cold food. Don't ask for a wake up call, it will never come, and if you don't want one, you will get one at 5:30 am as some of our breakfast table mates experienced. Wear you raincoat to be because at 10:30pm on deck 10 as people were sleeping and feeling ill from extremely rough water, the spinklers came on, soaking them as they slept. Also, hope you don't have any respiratory problems, as the dust in the air is not safe, the air quality is to poor to sail, and there is mold growing from much of the ventilation.
Only 2 good things to say, the show were excellent, and we met very nice people(not crew)
One bar maid worth meeting, new to the ship, Kristine Staric, from Croatia, works the pool bar in the afternoon, and the Viking Crown in the evening. She was the only pleasant crew member we could find. She is wonderful and made us feel very welcome. SHE IS THE ONLY ONE.
We made it a game to see if we could get any crew member to smile, say hello, greet us in any way, or to get information, or help-GOOD LUCK HERE.
Word has it that the crew is angry they didn't have any down time while ship was in dry dock. It was mandatory they hepled with rennovations. I am sure this explains there mood. They couldn't see their families.
Anyway, I must work on getting that refund. Just a note, no one was worth a tip except for Kristine, she recieved all the tip $ that was expected of us to give everyone else. NO one else was worth any tip.
Good luck, and maybe by the time you sail, they will have some of these things worked out.
Later, tammy
Old 12-20-2004, 09:09 AM

Tammy I am sorry your experience was so negative, but thanks for sharing your thoughts. Camahr, I hope you will provide us your review when you return from your January cruise. Maybe they will have all issues resolved by then.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 12-21-2004, 10:35 AM

Tam, sorry your cruise wasn't that great. Do you see your experience as an on-goig problem for the SOS?

Tom
Old 12-22-2004, 05:02 AM

Tom,
Old 12-22-2004, 05:25 AM

Tom
I am sure all of the crew was aware of the problems and heard many complaints. They, however never publicly announced any apology for any problems. They are still working to finish rennovations on the ship. However, I did not want to be in on the ship while this was happening. Most of the changes that are complete are very nice. I am sure it is a big inmpovement from what things did look like. You can tell that the jobs were rushed and some not done properly as you look around. Much of the carpeting was laid sloppily. I sure hope that the crew cheers up, this would help a great deal. Also, maybe if they had been decorated for Christmas, this would have helped the mood. There was not one decoration on the ship. I think after a few more cruises, things should run more smoothly. After the break I think there was just communication problems as well as all of the problems with the ship which attributed to total caos. They never had a chance to solve one problem when another arose. Everyone just needs to relax, get back in the swing of things, and be cheerful. As far as the rennovations, this will be completed with time. They just didn't have enough before our cruise. The ship should not have passengers aboard while this is being completed. I as well as many others did not appreciate this. The shows as well as the food in the wind jammer were excellent. As far as service is concerned, the crew just needs to work on this. I however will never cruise on this ship again. I did not have a good experience. I was expecting much much better in every area. Even after all the comments I had read before my cruise about this ship, I went in with an open mind. I did not expect to be treated like royalty, however, I expected some concern and response from the crew. It just seemed like they didn't care about any of the passengers. Maybe some of the other problems could have been overlooked had the crew been more friendly and helpful. I am anxious to here from anyone cruising in the near future. Take care and Merry Christmas

Closed Thread