Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 08:43 AM

Hey there! We're going on Freedom June 22. Our flight arrives very early and after taking the transfer to the port from the airport. We wanted to meet my sister for breakfast. She and her family are staying at the Fountainebleau the night before. Since most of the Fountainebleau's restaurants are closed for renovations right now, we wondered if there was a restaurant or hotel within walking distance of the port where we could walk to breakfast and kill some time. We will have 4 kids with us aged 2 - 18. Any ideas?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 AM

It depends on what you consider walking distance. To get ack to the "mainland" from the port where the ships actually dock would be a good mile walk. There are resturants in the Bayside area, but again it would be a hike. June 22nd is going to be very warm too. You might be walking in very hot humid conditions.

If you can drop your luggage off at the port, then you could possibly walk to bayside, but its not a terribly short distance. You might be better off having the taxi drop you and your luggage off at your sister's hotel, then finding breakfast near the hotel and all going to the port at once (even if seperate taxis are required).
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-02-2008, 09:32 AM

I will be on the FOS on the 22nd also. We are staying at the Holiday Inn which is across the street from Bayside. I agree that it's really not walking distance but a very short & inexpensive cab ride. There are many places to eat at Bayside & I would agree if you can drop your luggage off & then they'll be plenty of cabs taking you to the port. Maybe I'll see you on the ship.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Depending on how early you get there, the porters may not be ready to accept luggage for the new passengers. I also wonder if pedestrian traffic is allowed from the port to the mainland?

How early are you arriving?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 AM

Dave- I wondered that too. That's why I suggested going to the hotel and meet the other family first and then go to the ship after breakfast. If its REALLY early, they may not accept your luggage and then you'd be stuck waiting for them to take the luggage while the rest of the group is eating breakfast.

The extra cab ride is probably going to run you $15 to $20 (there is a port entrance fee which makes that number jump up.) But it might be better than waiting without food the whole time. Again, how early is early?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-02-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
I also wonder if pedestrian traffic is allowed from the port to the mainland?
Dave
The first time we arrived in Miami we couldn't get a cab, not pushy enough at the time, we ended up walking from the port to the shopping mall across the bridge where Hard Rock Cafe is. We did get some strange looks from passing drivers. It took us about 40 mins to complete the walk, and OMG was it hot!
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in June.
We hailed a cab on the way back it only cost us about $20, if a remember correctly.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It took us about 40 mins to complete the walk
Definitely not the way to start a cruise.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks everyone!! We land at 8:50 a.m., so we could conceivably be at the port by 9:30ish. Do you think the porters would take our bags that early? You've confirmed what I thought about what might be nearby. It's time to look for other options!!!

Valerie, we're in cabin 1310 on Deck 10. I've never cruised before....I'm SO excited. My sis has though. They were on Navigator the summer of '06 and said it was by far the best vacation they've ever had. And they have been all over the world!
Old 06-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Do you think the porters would take our bags that early?
I doubt it. They most likely will still be dealing with the exiting passengers in the last groups to be called to leave the ship.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:20 PM

Yep...that's what I had assumed also. We'll probably just go to the Fountainebleau and rustle up some breakfast. Thanks all!

Closed Thread

Tags
area, bags, bayside, caribbean, cruise, distance, drop, early, general, line, miami, nearby, port, royal, walking, whats