Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 04:44 PM

We're sailing on the Mariner in July. I was wondering if you all think the specialty restaurants are worth the extra cost? I'd had to spend extra and be disappointed and think I would have enjoyed the regular dinner fare just as well.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Administrator

The specialty restaurants invariably get rave reviews. I can't recall ever hearing of someone being disappointed.

They book up fast, so it is strongly urged that you make your reservations as soon as you board the ship.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:00 PM
hi ms sut highly recommended, i would book the chops personally thats if you are big meat eaters.
the standard of sercice A++ food A++
well worth the $20 surcharge.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-31-2008, 05:20 PM

YES! It's well worth it. You have a choice between Chops and Portofino's. Both are excellent. I try to pick a night when they have my least favorite menu at the main dining.

Sonny
Old 03-31-2008, 05:39 PM
The Specialty Restaurants on board are sort of like the treat you owe to yourself on a cruise. The cost is minor next to the meal and the treatment received. Once you try it-you'll love it! You won't find a meal of that quality anywhere ashore!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 PM

OK, I live in beef country and I have to say that the best steak I have ever had in a restaurant setting was in Portofino's on Liberty of the Seas. Well, worth the extra! Enjoy!

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Oh yes, they are worth the extra $20@. I'm not very big on Italian, which is what I'm told Portifino's is all about, but red meat?? Chops!! On Mariner, it was fantastic, and WAY worth the time and money-and, by the way, leave yourself plenty of time to eat and enjoy the view, food, service, and area.
Not being a drinker, I do know that you can get a drink from the bar, and wine is served there also. I do not know if it is extra-I can assume it is extra, since everywhere else on the ship booze costs.
Try it, you'll LIKE it!
Enjoy your cruise!!

Need some cruise help?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:31 PM

Ok, I just have ot say that the idea of paying for a cruise which includes a wonderful meal in the diningroom only to spend an additional $20 per person to eat at chops or portofino is a waste of money. Been on 7 cruises and the thought of spending money at those dining options is kind of like paying for a meal twice. Save your money and use it some place else.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim1012:
Oh yes, they are worth the extra $20@. I'm not very big on Italian, which is what I'm told Portifino's is all about, but red meat?? Chops!! On Mariner, it was fantastic, and WAY worth the time and money-and, by the way, leave yourself plenty of time to eat and enjoy the view, food, service, and area.
Not being a drinker, I do know that you can get a drink from the bar, and wine is served there also. I do not know if it is extra-I can assume it is extra, since everywhere else on the ship booze costs.
Try it, you'll LIKE it!
Enjoy your cruise!!
LOL....well, I'm a red meat kind of guy but Not my bride so we do what she wanted . I have heard others say the same thing about the steak vs. Chops. Go figure

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 04-01-2008, 09:45 AM

Definately worth the money in my opinion. We booked Chops on Liberty of the Seas ast October for my husbands 40th birthday night, which really made his birthday after spending the day in Grand Cayman. The quality of food and service was fantastic, well worthe extra $20 per head. It is the best steak I have ever tasted and my Dad had the lamb and an Idahoe baked potato which was the most enormous thing we had ever seen! My Dad has a huge appetite and even this beat him!!!
There are loads of side orders to go round and the desserts and even more indulgent than the dining room.
We are looking forward to trying Portafinos on Independence of the Seas in August!
Have a great cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
aboard, allure, cost, costs, cruise, extra, liberty, mariner, prices, restaurants, review, seas, ship, speciality, specialty