Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 12:31 PM

This will be my 3rd cruise but first on RCI. I have questions about surcharges:
1. What is the latest with Johnny Rockets and surcharges?
2. Is there a charge for the golf simulator?
3. Everyone talks about how great the food is at Cafe Promenade- is there a surcharge for the items there?
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:56 PM

Allyvan,
I was on the Mariner in Sept. It was a beautiful ship. You will not be disappointed.
My husband and I did go to Johnny Rockets, there was a $3.95pp surcharge plus sodas and milkshakes were at an additional cost. We felt it was well worth it. I do believe there was a surcharge for the golf simulator,however I could not tell you what it was. The food was pretty good in the cafe promenade and there is no cost unless you are purchasing specialty coffee or Ben and Jerrys ice cream. I hope I was able to answer your questions .
Have fun!
Old 01-01-2006, 05:47 PM

Allyvan, If you are a member of the Crown & Anchor you might get a coupon book with a coupon for a free visit to Johnny Rockets. I had one on the Sovereign in September. The hamburgers are good, but I think RCCL is starting to really nickel and dime. On the Sovereign they did not have hamburgers at the buffet grill for lunch. I don't have children, but I think it's terrible parents would have to pay $3.95 for their children to have hamburgers and fries. Which is what most kids want everyday for lunch. Also on the Sovereign I noticed they had one little soft serve icecream machine. It wasn't even in the area of the WindJammer Cafe. It was up one deck hidden in the Mast Bar. Guess they wanted you to buy the $3.00 a cup Ben & Jerry's. When I went on the Enchantment in July I didn't see any soft serve machines. Ben & Jerry's was all I saw for icecream. Yes, I know, you can still get it if you go down to the dining room.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

I believe the Crown and Anchor coupon book is delivered to the stateroom. And indeed, it has a coupon for a "Free" visit to Rockets. On our Mariner cruise in 2004 they had hot dogs and burgers in the buffet restaurant (these were in the center all the way at the back of the buffet). However, I felt the quality was quite mediocre and could easily see how someone would construe this as an attempt to push business upstairs to Johnny Rockets. I found the Rockets food to be very good. The burgers reminded me of the old diner days in upstate NY! Yum.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the responses. I agree with you all that it is really too bad about the surcharges. With airfares as high as they are currently, I wouldn't be surprised all the nickel and diming impacts the cruise industry. I love cruising but when you tally the final bill, it is definitely not a cheap vacation!
Thanks again for the info.

One more question for Chase- did you find lounge chairs a problem? I am aware of the towel charge which is a great idea. We went on Princess and getting a lounge chair was a nightmare!!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:00 AM

Regarding Crown and Anchor- I think you have to cruise with Royal Carribean at least once to be a member?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Yes, the Crown and Anchor stuff kicks in after your first completed cruise.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:15 AM

Allyvan,
We did have some problems with the chairs during special events. However at all other times where nothing was going on near the pool deck it seemed to be fine. As far as Johnny Rockets is concerned I would hesitate to go again. I pay more for a value meal at McDonalds. It was really nice to get from the crowds of the windjammer. The food and etertainment were well worth it also.
Have fun
Old 01-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

I think Chase meant to say 'I wouldn't hesitate to go to Rockets again', and I would agree. The food is very good, the service is wonderful, and the staff dances for you. Not bad for $3.95.

One thing to note though - Rockets can have a line during the at-sea days. The best time to go is during the in-port days after you have returned to the ship and many of your fellow passengers are still ashore. No lines to speak of and the service, food, and entertainment are the same.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:56 PM

Dave56,
Thank you for correcting me. I did mean that I would not hesitate.

Closed Thread

Tags
mariner