Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 01:33 PM

Went on Freedom on the July 2nd sailing and just wanted to pass along my thoughts.
Upon arrival, the check-in process was rather quick. We arrived in Miami around noon and got to the port around 1:30ish.
We were on the ship by 2pm so the process was very smooth.
The ship was MUCH larger than I imagined with over 4,000 passengers and 1,200 crew, there was still plenty of room to maneuver without a hassle. Of course the lines for the Spa were a little long as they book very quickly. The 50 minute deep tissue massage was worth every penny! We also grabbed the 7 bottle wine and dine package as well as the soda package for the kids while supplies lasted. I'd recommend both if like wine with dinner.
Food in the dining room was definitely gourmet class and the service was excellent. We dined on the 3rd deck (Leonardos') and had a table right against the ocean window so that was cool too. We origianally booked the 8:30 sitting but switched the 6pm as we figured my daughter (8) might have a hard time finishing up dinner around 10pm (it was a good move) and gave us time to really get started enjoying the nightlife at around 9pm
My daughter also wanted to hang with the Adventure club (ages 6-8) and we literally had to drag her out of there every night at 1am she had so much fun.
My son is 15 so with 1100 kids on board (announced by cruise director Ken Rush) they had plenty of other kids to hang with. This is truly a family oriented cruise.
The younger kids participated in parades in the promenade so that was kind of cool too.

Don't miss the midnite dessert buffet in the Windjammer when it rolls around. They did ours I believe on Friday night. Well worth it!!

The entertainment was top notch with several shows worth seeing. Freedom on Ice, Once upon a time to name a couple.
Off shore excursions were lots of fun too.
We did a 4x4 and Snorkled in caverns in Cozamel.
Another 4x4 tour in Caymans and a beach resort.
Dunns Falls in Jamaica was fun but I'd never do it again from Montego Bay port. The drive was 2 hrs each way and half of it on unpaved bumpy roads. Kids had no problem sleeping both ways though.
Labadee Beach was gorgeous. I never expected such beautiful scenery when we pulled into port.
Nice buffet lunch setup.
Waverunners galore. They really move at 50mph.
Only downside is you could not freely go where you wanted. It is a guided waverunner tour and you better not venture off the path as there are some reefs just under the surface if you stray too far. If you plan on doing this, be sure to stay fairly close behind whoever is in front of you. The couple in front of myself and my son were going so slow, they lost the trail and we had to go about 25 to be extra careful. You can request to move ahead or behind anyone in line as they made 4 or 5 stops to talk about the local haitians and their culture. Rather interesting.

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me at manis2much@yahoo.com and I'll be happy to apass along any information you might need or want.

Thanks,

Jack
Old 07-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Jack,

Thanks for the overview of your cruise. I did the maiden voyage on Freedom as was quite pleased with the cruise. So much so that I booked a cruise for the Liberty next June.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:47 PM

Dave,

I did the same for next July!
Eastern side this time.
Your review helped us a lot as well BEFORE we left.
Thanks for that.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:49 PM

Jack, what a nice review! I'm glad you had a good time on Freedom. I'm impressed at how much your daughter liked the Adventure Ocean program. For a ship with that many people, I'm surprised there aren't more lines than there are for certain things.

Sandy
Old 07-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Thanks for your comments on my "live" review of the Freedom. Although a standard review will be posted at CruiseReviews.com, I have found that I enjoy doing reviews that are live-time as the cruise unfolds. These allow me to bring the members along with me on the cruise, so to speak.

Great to hear you booked the Liberty too! GMTA (great minds think alike!)
Old 07-14-2006, 09:29 AM

Thanks Jack, I have an 8yr and 9yr old daughter and 11yr old son, so it is good to know that the kids area is so much fun, cause we worry that they wont like it, when we leave them there while we do some "adult" stuff. I cant wait till we go, the countdown is on!! Thanks to you and Dave56 for your guys' info!!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Banned

Jack,

we stay on the Fots on a promotiontour from April 25. to 26. for a onedaycruise from Hamburg to Oslo. There are many workers on the Ship but it is a great ship.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:39 AM

do any of you have any pictures that you can post of your trip on freedom? im so excited i want to see as many pictures as possible
Old 07-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Administrator

One of the people in my group from the inaugural Freedom cruise posted some good photos here.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Banned

do any of you have any pictures that you can post of your trip on freedom? im so excited i want to see as many pictures as possible

Hi,

there are pictures on my HP www.bekeuchel.de

sorry the HP are in german.

Closed Thread