Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:57 AM

We've previously been on two cruises (carnival) and are excited to be going on RCCL this time (it's been 10 years since we last cruised). I remember having a tough time finding chairs to lounge on (especially on days at sea). With 6 of us going on this trip, I'm assuming it's going to be very hard to find them together and the kids will not want to be separated from us. Does anyone have suggestions for helping this situation? I know they discourage "holding" chairs with towels, etc. Should we get on deck early? Can we "tip" or pay someone to reserve or hold them? Is there an area that is better for finding chairs? Will this be a problem in the month of January (are the ships more or less crowded then?)

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 AM

Hi BarbH, deck chairs will always be a source of contention. On sea days, the early bird catches the worm. Hopefully on port days, you'll be ashore, but if not, there is usually no problem getting chairs. Chairs cannot be reserved. Ships normally sail at full capacity, year round. There may be less children when you sail due to school, but I expect the ship to be at capacity. Best wishes and good luck with your chairs!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Administrator

There are lots of chairs on the Liberty, but your best chance at finding six together will be in the areas away from the pools. The chair hogs seem to congregate around the pool, with their little tokens marking chairs as theirs for the whole day. The RCI pool staff is often efficient at policing it. I've seen them wait a bit (maybe 30 minutes) and if nobody appears at the phantom shoe or book left on a chair, they will remove it. The only chairs reserved are those for suite guests, and they will have a roped off area with someone checking cruise cards. Don't try to tip someone to guard chairs for you. They are not allowed to do that, and if caught they could be fired.

But if you go up one deck and then go forward you will find several little out of the way areas with available chairs. Nothing says you can't move empty chairs together if they are spread out. Bar waiters come by and it is quieter. However wind can sometimes be an issue.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the great info. As I think about it more, I am remembering that we enjoyed the chairs and sun when it was just my husband and I. However, with our four children along (ages 10-20), we will probably be doing more ship exploring than sitting. And with so many activities, we might not even need the chairs much.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-26-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
with our four children along (ages 10-20), we will probably be doing more ship exploring than sitting.
I'd be surprised if you even SEE the kids while you're on the ship. Not only is there so much to do for all ages, but they may not want to be caught sitting around with the parents!

When our kids were 15, 11 and 9, we each had a room key, and on days at sea, my husband and I often wished we could see the kids a little more often. Our daughter did breeze by once with her new best friend, asking if we had a Band-Aid -- for the scavenger hunt they were on!

Sandy
Old 01-26-2009, 04:39 PM

The policy is 30 minutes for saving a lounge chair. If there is a person in your groups sitting in a chair, they won't enforce the time limit. I don't believe Royal Caribbean has a policy for saving chairs for suite guests. Maybe they would do that for some VIP's.

Sonny
Old 01-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Sonny,

According to reports RCI has been setting aside reserved deck chair areas for those in GS or above suites on selected ships. I guess you will be able to verify that shortly.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 PM

Dave,
I called the diamond plus desk, and they told me that they weren't aware of any such perk. Even if it were a perk, I wouldn't have the courage to set my butt down among a crowd of people that aren't allowed to reserve lounge chairs. Would you?

Next week I'll ask the concierge if there are any ships that have that policy.

Sonny
Old 01-27-2009, 05:20 AM

Bon Voyage, Sonny
Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Administrator

The mention of the reserved deck chairs was in alfred's post here. He was on the Liberty.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, chair, chairs, deck, liberty, lounge, policy, rccl, reserve, reserved, reserves, reserving, royal, suite, suites