Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Questions regarding the Bermuda short stop (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/29070-questions-regarding-bermuda-short-stop.html)

Southern Fried Cruiser 09-19-2007 04:20 PM

Hi there folks,

We're going on the Eastern Caribbean Cruise next summer on the EOS. Have done the cruise before but this time the first stop is a new one, Kings Wharf, Bermuda.

We're really not port intensive but we'd like to see some points of interest that are easily accessible on our own without resorting to official "tours." Since it is a relatively brief stop (nine hours), we're thinking of going ashore for middle five.

We're both over sixty and a bit past the "beach" and the snorkeling type things, if that info will provide any help. I'm also a history buff.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanking all in advance,

SFC

Southern Fried Cruiser 09-19-2007 04:20 PM

Hi there folks,

We're going on the Eastern Caribbean Cruise next summer on the EOS. Have done the cruise before but this time the first stop is a new one, Kings Wharf, Bermuda.

We're really not port intensive but we'd like to see some points of interest that are easily accessible on our own without resorting to official "tours." Since it is a relatively brief stop (nine hours), we're thinking of going ashore for middle five.

We're both over sixty and a bit past the "beach" and the snorkeling type things, if that info will provide any help. I'm also a history buff.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanking all in advance,

SFC

LisaP 09-19-2007 05:21 PM

As a fellow history buff, might I suggest the Bermuda Maritime Museum? It's a short walk from where your ship will be docked. We spent several hours here exploring the exhibits and the grounds, and it was a highlight of our most recent Bermuda cruise.

Southern Fried Cruiser 09-19-2007 09:46 PM

Thank you ever so much LisaP. You can be assured the Museum will definitely be on the list.

SFC

jodiroadie 09-20-2007 03:20 PM

You could also hop on a bus right at Kings Wharf and see the island. Ask at the cruise ship terminal which bus will take you along the South Shore-they will be able to help you. It is a beautiful ride, and an inexpensive way to see the island. But, try not to schedule your ride in the busy part of the day--like when the kids are getting out of school! They can get a bit crowded!

Agutaya 09-20-2007 07:52 PM

There are lots of shops in the Clock Tower shopping area within walking distance of where you will dock. There are free demonstrations of glass blowing from 9-noon and 1-4:30 at the Dockyard Glassworks. There is also a Bermuda Rum Cake Company at the dockyard. We just got back from Bermuda. The beaches are truly beautiful.

I agree with jodiradie that a bus ride would be nice, but not during the busy time when work and school are starting or stopping. I stood the whole way from Hamilton to the beach and back. The one bus wasn't so bad because it had high windows and I could at least look out. The other bus had shorter windows and I couldn't see the scenery. If you are going one place and then back again you can buy tokens for the round trip. But if you plan to get off and on more than once you should buy a day pass. Each ride cost $4 and a day pass is $12. The day pass is also good for the ferry across the bay to Hamilton and back. Personally I wouldn't bother with Hamilton since you have so short a time. You can get the same things at the Royal Naval Dockyards (except seeing the cathedral in Hamilton).

Another option would be to take the ferry to St. George's, the town on the other side of Bermuda. That would give you a mini tour of Bermuda. St. George's is a very nice old town with a very British feel. You may pass the same places on the ship on the way to the R.N.D.

Have fun.

Southern Fried Cruiser 09-21-2007 01:16 PM

Thank you ever so much jodiroadie and Agutaya. You both are very kind for sharing your very interesting suggestions. Will probably incorporate all of the ideas into our day.

SFC