Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 11:37 AM

Had a cruise to Alaska booked but had to cancel due to illness in my family. Am interested in Freedom of the Seas out of Galvaston. I know this is a sensitive question but... here goes. My husband is significantly overweight. I don't want him to feel uncomfortable on a cruise. How difficult is it for people with a weight problem to find comfortable chairs, etc.?
Thanks, in advance, for the help.

Myrtle
Old 09-17-2007, 11:37 AM

Had a cruise to Alaska booked but had to cancel due to illness in my family. Am interested in Freedom of the Seas out of Galvaston. I know this is a sensitive question but... here goes. My husband is significantly overweight. I don't want him to feel uncomfortable on a cruise. How difficult is it for people with a weight problem to find comfortable chairs, etc.?
Thanks, in advance, for the help.

Myrtle
Old 09-17-2007, 12:39 PM

Myrtle- The Freedom does not sail from Galveston. The Voyager of the Seas does. The Freedom is based on the Voyager class ships so they are similar. But you can check out the differences on the RCCL website.

But as for your question, I have seen many very large people on cruises and didn't see any of them having issues. The theater seating is bench style. There are normal chairs in the dinning rooms and buffet eating areas, I'm not sure if they can substitute "heavy duty" chairs or not. But since you always are seated at the same table, I'm sure its possible. Maybe other cruisers with more experience on the subject can help out. You MAY consider getting a junior suite cabin though as the showers are larger. Or maybe a handicap accesible cabin??? Hang in there, someone will be able to answer!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-17-2007, 01:56 PM

How large is he? Reason I ask, I just hear some airlines are charging for two seats if a person is too wide for just one seat. There won't be a problem on a ship.

Sonny
Old 09-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Like Jim said, perhaps they can help you in the dining room by substituting a chair. Right when you get on the ship- go to the dining room ask to see your table and check it out if you think there will be a problem ask for help then, so when you arrive at night for dinner there won't be an embarrassing moment.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:38 PM

Thanks to all! I realized I typed the wrong name of the ship a bit later. We plan to drive to Galvaston so the flight won't be an issue. I think the idea about going to the dining room in advance is really good. He's such a great guy and we've been together since I was 16 (I'm 45 - almost 46 - now.) Wouldn't hurt his feelings for anything in the world. We're working on the issue together.

You guys have been great!

Myrtle
Old 09-18-2007, 06:03 AM

Hi Myrtle0116, welcome to Cruise-Chat. There are hundreds of over sized people on board ships, so don't let that stop you. Like Jim said, about the only small place on board are the bathrooms. I honestly believe, y'all would have a wonderful time and your hubby wouldn't have any trouble at all. The ships of today are massive. The public seating is quite comfortable, with plenty of benches, over sized lounge chairs, sofas and the like. The doorways and passage ways have to meet safety standards and have to accomodate wheelchairs. Some of the public restrooms have handicap accessibility, not all of them, but by the pools, buffets and dining rooms they do. Just want to warn you, cruising is addictive. Hope to see you post your decision
Old 09-18-2007, 10:49 AM

A very dear uncle of mine--who is the largest man I've EVER seen--cruises with our family all the time. Only once was he unable to fit in a chair (I can't remember where on board we were), and a crew member immediately brought him a chair with no armrests without causing a scene. Like others have said, the only real problem he ever ran into was the size of the bathroom in his stateroom. He was unable to move around comfortably on the first cruise he went on with us, so ever since then he has gotten a junior suite. The extra cost is worth it for him to shower comfortably.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:33 AM
There have been many many Large cruisers on our cruises...and they were well received and had a wonderful time.....we had one gentleman that was very very large, in a large motorized wheel chair and he was having a ball...they made special arrangements for him at the dinner table. If fact, he was up doing a line]
dance in his chair...Wonderful...the bathrooms may be a sight problem, but heck, go for it...

Happy Cruising..

Bob E
Old 09-19-2007, 04:47 AM

I've been afraid to ask this question or go on a cruise for the longest because of this issue. You guys are really great and have made the decision for me. Am waiting on my TA to call back so we can proceed with booking. Again, I can't tell you how much this has helped.

xoxo,

Myrtle

Closed Thread