Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   luggage before boarding?? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/29183-luggage-before-boarding.html)

B&Kat50 10-29-2007 08:56 PM

Our flight arrives at 2 pm in San Juan and we board at 7 pm on Serenade of Seas (Nov. 17). What can we do with our luggage until then so we can tour San Juan? I sailed once last year on Enchantment, but we went directly from airport to pier to check in. Appreciate the help!

TrvlPro 10-29-2007 09:09 PM

Whoever told you borading wouldn't begin until 7http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo.../icon_razz.gifm is misinformed. On these sailing that leave San Juan at night (in this case 10:00pm) you can actually begin boarding around 1:00pm and sometimes a little earlier. Go straight to the ship and check your bags, if you're hungry go onboard. They'll have the welcome aboard buffet set up. Then head off to see San Juan and come back to the ship. Don't be too late getting back, on the Adventure of the Seas last month they recommended 5:30pm even though the ship didn't sail until 10:00 pm also. My ship left PanAmerica pier but I believe Serenade goes out from Old San Juan pier (check to be sure). Old San Juan is right where you'll want to be, it's where most of the things to see are. The Bacardi factory, the old fortress, cobblestone streets. PanAmerica is a long way and inconvenient to shopping and sightseeing.

I didn't do anything anyway this time. Had a very early flight and needed a nap by the time I got there. Just blew off San Juan and figured I'll do it next time. I love the southern Carib so there will be a next time sometime soon.

Have a great cruise and let us know about it when you get back.

Cheers, Neil

TrvlPro 10-29-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TrvlPro:
Whoever told you borading wouldn't begin until 7:00pm is misinformed. On these sailing that leave San Juan at night (in this case 10:00pm) you can actually begin boarding around 1:00pm and sometimes a little earlier. Go straight to the ship and check your bags, if you're hungry go onboard. They'll have the welcome aboard buffet set up. Then head off to see San Juan and come back to the ship. Don't be too late getting back, on the Adventure of the Seas last month they recommended 5:30pm even though the ship didn't sail until 10:00 pm also. My ship left PanAmerica pier but I believe Serenade goes out from Old San Juan pier (check to be sure). Old San Juan is right where you'll want to be, it's where most of the things to see are. The Bacardi factory, the old fortress, cobblestone streets. PanAmerica is a long way and inconvenient to shopping and sightseeing.

I didn't do anything anyway this time. Had a very early flight and needed a nap by the time I got there. Just blew off San Juan and figured I'll do it next time. I love the southern Carib so there will be a next time sometime soon.

Have a great cruise and let us know about it when you get back.

Cheers, Neil

B&Kat50 10-30-2007 07:28 PM

Thanks, Neil! That's a relief. Since I've only cruised once, there are just a few jitters about some things. Could you help me with this question? Is it not recommended to use a credit card when shopping at various ports or does it not matter. I've always heard I should contact my credit card company and let them know the dates I may be using it out of the country, but then I heard it was so risky as far a theft identity that you shouldn't use it except on the ship. I just plan on doing more shopping this time. Maybe I am obsessing about things that I shouldn't. Would appreciate your advice!

electech 10-31-2007 10:23 AM

Definitely call your bank or card company and let them know where and when you will be gone. As far as using cash or the card, I have not heard anything one way or the other. If you carry a lot of cash, then you could get robbed I guess and if you use the card there is always that chance of something happening like that I guess!! I will probably just use cash this time and only take a certain amount into each port.