Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2005, 11:56 AM

My wife and I sailed on the Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore on July 3. During the first night my wife suffered bites from insects that were coming out of her pillow. The insects (bedbugs? were full of blood). The insects were not in the bed, just coming out of the pillow. She had numerous bites on both arms and her head. She was treated at the infirmary but got very little relief from the pain. We felt the problem was handled very poorly onboard and wrote to both Guest Relations and Crown and Anchor Society upon our return home. My wife is allergic to insect bites and had a serious reaction that required additional treatment after returning home. Her doctor stated she could not positively identify the insects as bedbugs but there was a very good posibility. She had huge welts all over her arms. It has been a month since we wrote to RCCL (they signed for my certified letters on July 20) and we have had no response whatever. I sent an email a week ago and other than the automated receipt response, there has been no reply. This was our 8th cruise with RCCL.

Has anyone else experienced any problem in obtaining a response from RCCL? I read in the St. Petersburg Times in July about some other passengers who have experienced difficulty in dealing with RCCL. Royal Caribbean has always been our cruise line of choice but now I am beginning to wonder. Any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:56 AM

My wife and I sailed on the Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore on July 3. During the first night my wife suffered bites from insects that were coming out of her pillow. The insects (bedbugs? were full of blood). The insects were not in the bed, just coming out of the pillow. She had numerous bites on both arms and her head. She was treated at the infirmary but got very little relief from the pain. We felt the problem was handled very poorly onboard and wrote to both Guest Relations and Crown and Anchor Society upon our return home. My wife is allergic to insect bites and had a serious reaction that required additional treatment after returning home. Her doctor stated she could not positively identify the insects as bedbugs but there was a very good posibility. She had huge welts all over her arms. It has been a month since we wrote to RCCL (they signed for my certified letters on July 20) and we have had no response whatever. I sent an email a week ago and other than the automated receipt response, there has been no reply. This was our 8th cruise with RCCL.

Has anyone else experienced any problem in obtaining a response from RCCL? I read in the St. Petersburg Times in July about some other passengers who have experienced difficulty in dealing with RCCL. Royal Caribbean has always been our cruise line of choice but now I am beginning to wonder. Any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:01 PM

Oh Goodness, I am sooo Sorry to hear about that. I know that must have been terrible. Hopefully you will hear something soon, let us know what happens.
I had to make a call to them today to check on a problem with our booking and the man was REALLY snappy with me, but other than that they have been good to work with.
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 08-25-2005, 07:25 PM

Did you use a travel agent to book your cruise? Perhaps your agent can contact his/her Royal Caribbean sales rep with a call and copy of your letter, and see if the rep can get you some response from the cruise line.

I spoke with someone about a year ago who had the same bedbug problem on a different cruise line. I've recently read that bedbugs seem to be making a comeback in grand fashion. I wonder if they have frequent cruiser numbers?!?

Old 08-25-2005, 08:00 PM

Something to be said for bringing your own pillow! (I do, but for different reasons.) Sorry about your misfortune. I agree with Sandy. If you didn't use a TA, then pursue the matter yourself - go as high up as you can in the cruise line, and be polite, but persistent. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2005, 08:41 AM

I am sorry to hear of your experience. What a horrible thing to have happen.

I read your post three times, and my question is this: In your writing to Royal Caribbean, did you ask for or suggest what sort of compensation you were looking for?

Although my SO disagrees with me on this point, I have always felt that a good complaint letter indicates what it is I am looking for to correct or compensate for the problem suffered.

Just a thought.

I hope that you have this resolved to your satisfaction.

Lana
Old 08-26-2005, 08:24 PM

Karen, I may just follow your lead with bringing pillows. We're cruising the Grandeur out of Baltimiore in a couple of months! I hope the bug problem has been remedied...
Old 08-28-2005, 05:19 PM

I always bring my own pillow too but could you see little kids getting bed bug bites all over them and screaming ALL WEEK! I Don't think so! UGHHH! I really hope you get compensation.
Is your wife doing better now??
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 08-28-2005, 06:08 PM

Hire a lawyer. THAT should get their attention.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:05 PM

Sorry I haven't posted sooner but have been in Canada. I finally sent an email to the President of RCCL and received response from him the very next day - even tho Hurricane Katrina was threatening Miami. He referred my email to guest relations and someone from that office contacted my wife in 3 days - no satisfaction yet but at least we have made contact.

Closed Thread

Tags
bed, bugs, care, carribbean, royal