Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 11:13 AM

Maybe the crusie lines need to give people credit for another time if they are sick so they wouldn't feel like the had to go anyway. Believe me, with all the money invested in this trip, sick or not, I'm going- and I think most people feel the same.

Palladium Resorts
Old 12-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Point taken thanks all for the reassurance.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-04-2006, 11:32 AM

I sure wish schools had to report outbreaks. Working on a college campus, I see more than my share of sick students still going to classes and spreading germs. As well as hotels, restaurants, and any other public place. Maybe then, people would stop worrying about going on a "sick" ship. The ships are not sick, the passengers are. They bring their viruses with them and contaminate all they come in contact with. As cotefamily said, after all the money spent, people are going to go come heck or high water.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:37 PM

The ship is Freedom of the Seas and they are not telling the whole story. We had 25 in our group and 9 got sick. The ruined some of their vacation because they quarintened them to their room for the rest of the cruise. The staff told us there were around 1200 to 1500 sick. The staff also told us there were 1300 sick the week before we left on Nov 26. They have a problem but won't admit it. There are 25 of us who will never use RCC again. We wasted $8,000.00 on this trip.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Do you really expect us to believe that if 1300-1500 were sick they could keep it a secret?

Not likely.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:20 PM

Wow, the media really does make Norovirus a big deal. Whenever a case breaks out they make it sound the worst they can. I was just wondering if there was anything you could do to prevent it other than washing your hands or is it not really something to worry about?

Ryan
Old 12-04-2006, 03:13 PM

As I mentioned earlier, it is similar to a flu virus and it is not something you can take a shot for like the flu. You get it when it travels to you from another carrier. My wife's Doctor, who she just saw today, said, no worries, just use good sense and wash after being in public areas and carry some of that sanitizer in your pocket or purse. You are just as likely to get it in a hotel room, a rental car, an airplane or some other heavily used public place where they do not typically sanitize versus just clean.

We could all start to do as Asian cultures do overseas and wear masks to avoid contamination from another sick person.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:27 PM

The passenger was already sick before he/she boarded Freedom. Sorry if this has already been posted.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fuzzfam:
The ship is Freedom of the Seas and they are not telling the whole story. We had 25 in our group and 9 got sick. The ruined some of their vacation because they quarintened them to their room for the rest of the cruise. The staff told us there were around 1200 to 1500 sick. The staff also told us there were 1300 sick the week before we left on Nov 26. They have a problem but won't admit it. There are 25 of us who will never use RCC again. We wasted $8,000.00 on this trip.
RCCL isn't the only cruise line that has encountered the Norovirus. Norovirus continues to be a problem on cruise ships; in 2002, there were 25 reported outbreaks, with 2,648 passengers becoming ill from the virus. Outbreak investigations by the U. S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have shown that transmission among cruise ship passengers is almost wholly person-to-person.
As far as the staff telling you how many people became ill, I really don't believe the staff on the Freedom would be divulging that kind of information, even if it were true. It's not the ship that gives you the virus, it's people. Quarantining is a standard procedure for all cruise lines in these cases. It's for the protection of those not contaminated by the virus.

Sonny
Old 12-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by fuzzfam:
Well as I have seen on the news and in this forum RCC is not the only cruise line that has had this outbreak so has Carnival and NCC so I take it you 25 are just not going to cruise again. I simply can not believe that they had back to back outbreaks like that on that ship that even to me is unbelievable. And the 16 0f the 25 that didn't get sick I surely hope they had a good time.

Closed Thread

Tags
bed, caribbean, change, cruise, linen, navigator, norovirus, rccl, royal, seas, serenade, sheets, ships, stafford, va, worried