Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 AM

Hi- I have a 10:45am departure flight out of Miami after my cruise. They say it docks at 7am. Will this be enough time to get to the airport???? I would love some input on this. I am a worry wart
Old 06-04-2008, 05:28 AM

Did you make your own flight arrangements, or did you get your air through Royal Caribbean? I would be uncomfortable with a 10:45am flight. The docking time for the ship is not the time the passengers disembark. In fact, passengers will probably be allowed to start leaving the ship around 8-8:30am. You can be in the first group to leave the ship if you handle your own luggage. If you want the cruise line to handle your luggage, and then go claim it when you disembark, it'll take much longer.

A taxi will take you about 25 minutes from port to airport.

Royal Caribbean's official recommendation is that your flight leave no earlier than noon. While it's possible that you'll make a 10:45am flight, if you're already worried about it, I'd try to change it to later so you won't worry about it for the whole cruise.

Sandy
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 AM

I do hope you can change your reservations, that's way too early. There are too many things that can hold up a ship's clearance. In general I'd advise nothing before noon. I have been as late as 11:30am getting off of a ship. That was at Christmas, there were 8 ships in the port that day, and Immigration was the hold up. I felt so sorry for the crew, they still had to turn around the ship and make it ready for 3000 new passengers that were standing in line waiting to board.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:01 PM

If you can't change it keep your luggage with you and carry it off the ship yourself as soon as passengers are cleared to leave. I have been on nine cruises and on only ONE where we would have missed such an early flight. That one would have been enough to cure me from attempting it. Missing my plane is not the way to end a dream vacation. By the way on that one cruise: apparently authorities were waiting for someone on our ship (his luggage which had gone ahead of him apparently contained something suspicious). It was a big ship with lots of places to hide and no-one was allowed to leave until he materialized to face the music. Customs/immigration reserve the right to hold up everyone and anyone until they are satisfied :-)
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-04-2008, 01:52 PM

Why did you make your return flight such an early one? It's usually not easy to change a flight with out paying a fee. Chances are you'll make your flight, but in the future, pick an early afternoon flight. If I were you, I would talk to the people at guest relations on the ship. They will tell you what to do to be with the first group to disembark.

Sonny
Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 PM

I made it at that time for 2 reasons: 1st-last time I was on a RCC I had a 3:30pm flight out and was hanging around the airport from about 9:00am that morning. 2nd-the next non-stop flight out was not until around that time and I swore I would never go out that late again! RCC suggested a flight no earlier than 11:00am for me so I guess I will gamble on the 15 minute difference.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:32 PM

urgh! I know what you mean about the airport sit-in. As I said--8 out of 9 times we could have made such a flight. Not bad odds, if you think about it. Hope no one has "suspicious" luggage when you are trying to leave! I would love to be able to get the first flight available once I leave the ship.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

The problem with getting an early flight is that the Beers Cruise Corollary of Murphy's Law will happen.

The Beers Cruise Corollary states: 1) If you book a later flight, everything will flow smoothly and you could have boarded an earlier flight. However, if you book an early flight you will always miss it and spend at least 18 hours in the airport begging for standby seats.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Spoke to RCC and they say that they cannot guarantee making a flight any earlier than 11:00am so I guess I will have to gamble on the 15 minutes!! Tried to change my flight to a little later time but the cost is ridiculous to do so! They are crazy! So, I will keep my fingers crossed.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:48 PM

DIRECT QUOTE FROM RCCL:
Good Afternoon,

We received your email and the earliest flight departure we can guarantee is any flights departing 11:00am and later. you would
definitely need to speak with the guest relation department on board as soon as you board to see if they can accommodate your request for an early departure.

Closed Thread

Tags
carribean, cruise, departure, docks, earliest, express, flight, leave, majesty, miami, missed, royal, seas, ship, time