Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2005, 03:27 PM

I have been reading the boards and read that some of the balconies have metal instead of glass...can anyone tell me if this is the case on The Adventure of the Seas? We are on the 6th floor and this is our first balcony room. I want to be able to sit out on the balcony in the morning and drink my coffee. Am I going to have an obstructed view?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-09-2005, 07:33 PM

Dear kclvt~~~

I am jealous that you have your trip booked already~~~you will have a fabulous time no matter what!

Deck Six on the Voyager class is a tad different from the decks above, and only you can decide, along with your travel agent, as to whether to change the assignment. Speaking plainly, if I were in your shoes, I would indeed try to move up a deck or more. All of these decks have a varied amount of different classes of staterooms available. You didn't say which stateroom you were booked into.

On Deck Six, the staterooms with a balcony have less glass on their walls to the sea than those above. However, it may not make that much differece to you. On the earlier "Voyager-class ships", the balconies are "hull balconies", the same as those found on some Princess and P&O ships, as well as some on the Queen Mary 2.

These staterooms do not have full view through the glass from the sky to the floor. On decks 10 through 7, the top portion is open air; the bottom portion is half glass, half steel; on deck 6, the bottom half is solid steel up to the railing.

Google around for broad photos of the ship, and you will see what I am talking about: look closely; it is not super-obvious. Google for other people's photos of the ship; if you check with RCI, they will show you inaccurate pictures of the series. I find that very frustrating. Photos of the Mariner are actually photos of the Voyager....

I know that on the Mariner of the Seas, the 5th and last of this series, the balconies are all glass all the way through to the floor. I know this because I saw her in Nassau this past July while on the Sovereign of the Seas. I took extensive photos of the Mariner for future use.

Having said all of that, please understand that you will enjoy this trip just as you have all of your other cruises. RCI has such a wonderful product out there---it is our favorite line. In my opinion, they take quite good care of their repeat customers.

The Voyager class ships, along with the Freedom class to come, offer such a huge selection of things to do while at sea. If the chance comes though, do indeed indulge yourselves in a trip on the Radiance class ships---they are the "world of glass". All of their balcony staterooms offer beautiful views of the sea, through to the floor.

Lana
Old 10-09-2005, 09:51 PM

Lana, did I understand correctly that on the Mariner even the 6th floor balconies are glass?

Old 10-11-2005, 11:34 AM

Lana,

Thanks for the info - I will google to find photos and maybe move up another class - We are in room 6284...so I will check it out.

I have been on the Serenade of the Seas to Alaska this July..I have also been on the Explorer of the Seas. My sister and brother in law and my husband and myself prefer the Explorer...not that anything was wrong with the Serenade. We feel the Explorer was laid out better. It didn't seem as crowded either. Thats why we booked on Adventure to Southern Caribbean rather than Serenade..Also will look into Explorer for a Wester Carib in 2007 if we can't get on Freedom...
Thanks for your help!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-11-2005, 04:12 PM

Marian~~

I just dug into IPhoto and looked over my broadside photos of the Mariner. Yes, even the 6th floor balconies are entirely of glass from the rail to the floor. Just gorgeous!

Bon Voyage!

Lana

Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, balconies, balcony, enclosure, glass, hull, mariner, obstructed, photos, pictures, princess, reviews, rooms, sea, seas, serenade, steel, vs