Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2003, 07:36 PM

My boyfriend and I just returned yesterday from a 3 day cruise to Nassau and Coco Cay. Prior to taking the cruise I did alot of research and read hundreds of reviews. I must say that I was slightly apprehensive about the ship ( due to her age) and was really anxious to be able to post "my own review". If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask me and I will most surley respond. for now I will just touch on a few topics.

Our cruise was wonderful, infact I will probablly book another one in a few months. The drive from Tampa to the port took about 2 and a half hours, we paid about 4 dollars in tolls.

The ship is old and there are signs of wear and tear everywhere. Dont mistake wear and tear for "dirty". The ship is by no means dirty, and the workers are constantly vaccuming, polishing the brass, and cleaning windows. The carpet in certain areas is stained and there is a slight "funky odor" on some of the decks.

We had an inside cabin which is very, very, small. We had 1 suitcase and 1 duffle bag and had a hard time finding space for it in the cabin. The bathroom reeked, but my boyfrind said he couldnt smell anything but I definately could. I didnt see in mold or mildew in the bathroom just a musty scent.

The food in the dining room is delicious, I STRONGLY advise you eat there as much as possible. The food in the Windjammer is horrible.

The waverunner excursion in Coco Cay was a BLAST, actually Coco Cay was a blast!!!!!!!! Everyone I talked to said that was the best part of the Cruise.

Nassau was nice, I really enjoyed Atlantis and the Straw Market. As you walk throught the market, the locals try and sell you merchandise but all you have to do is say "no thanks". We did not run into any pushy people.

There are no irons onboard the ship, so please make sure your clothes are pressed. They do have a valet laundry service where you pay a "nominal fee" to get your clothes dry cleaned or pressed.

24 hour room service is GREAT!!!!!
Free lemonaide is great!!!!
Deck 12 is GREAT!!!!

Hope I've been of assistance!

Bye!

LaVeena
Old 07-07-2003, 07:36 PM

My boyfriend and I just returned yesterday from a 3 day cruise to Nassau and Coco Cay. Prior to taking the cruise I did alot of research and read hundreds of reviews. I must say that I was slightly apprehensive about the ship ( due to her age) and was really anxious to be able to post "my own review". If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask me and I will most surley respond. for now I will just touch on a few topics.

Our cruise was wonderful, infact I will probablly book another one in a few months. The drive from Tampa to the port took about 2 and a half hours, we paid about 4 dollars in tolls.

The ship is old and there are signs of wear and tear everywhere. Dont mistake wear and tear for "dirty". The ship is by no means dirty, and the workers are constantly vaccuming, polishing the brass, and cleaning windows. The carpet in certain areas is stained and there is a slight "funky odor" on some of the decks.

We had an inside cabin which is very, very, small. We had 1 suitcase and 1 duffle bag and had a hard time finding space for it in the cabin. The bathroom reeked, but my boyfrind said he couldnt smell anything but I definately could. I didnt see in mold or mildew in the bathroom just a musty scent.

The food in the dining room is delicious, I STRONGLY advise you eat there as much as possible. The food in the Windjammer is horrible.

The waverunner excursion in Coco Cay was a BLAST, actually Coco Cay was a blast!!!!!!!! Everyone I talked to said that was the best part of the Cruise.

Nassau was nice, I really enjoyed Atlantis and the Straw Market. As you walk throught the market, the locals try and sell you merchandise but all you have to do is say "no thanks". We did not run into any pushy people.

There are no irons onboard the ship, so please make sure your clothes are pressed. They do have a valet laundry service where you pay a "nominal fee" to get your clothes dry cleaned or pressed.

24 hour room service is GREAT!!!!!
Free lemonaide is great!!!!
Deck 12 is GREAT!!!!

Hope I've been of assistance!

Bye!

LaVeena
Old 07-08-2003, 10:21 PM

We went on the Sovereign in April and had a great time too. I would agree the room was small, but for us, not too small (although, we had an oceanview room; I'm not sure if it's the same size as the inside rooms or not). I commented to my wife that there was a bad odor in the bathroom as well. However, those were the only things that I didn't like about the cruise. We also went on the Waverunner experience and loved it...it was one of the favorite things we did (although a bit spendy). I also couldn't get enough of the free ice cream! As far as the irons, we brought a steamer and that worked pretty well. I would definitely go on the Sovereign again.

Tom
Old 07-09-2003, 04:22 PM

Hello Tom and thanks for reading my review. I'm still on a natural high from our cruise onboard SOS. I would gladly take this cruise again. Coco Cay was "a little slice of heaven". The Waverunner experience was UNBELIEVABLE!!! I would highly recommend it to anyone!!

Tom, Is there any online website that you would recommend? I'm interested in booking another cruise and would like to explore my options of going with a travel agent vs. online. Please advise me on the best route to take.

Thanks!
LaVeena
Old 07-10-2003, 10:56 AM

Laveena,

I have only been on 2 cruises, so I'm not the expert. However, there are some very good threads on this site re: purchasing tickets online vs. through a travel agent (click on the search link at the top). We went through travel agents for both of our cruises, since we had heard horror stories about purchasing online. We did look online to try and find the best price and then presented that to the agents. Both times, they were able to either meet or beat that price. Here is an excerpt from a thread on this site from Tom Ogg (site administrator):

"Booking online

Groan. I have received so many complaints from cruisers about their "online" experiences that it isn't even funny. Most recently was a couple from Spain that purchased a cruise online. They were recently married but the wife's passport was in her maiden name. After arriving in Miami and trying to check in for the cruise they were refused boarding because of the discrepancy in her last name between the reservation and her passport. They never got on the ship and ended up returning to Spain after much expense. The cruise line treated them as a no-show and the online agency refuses any responsibility.

Do yourself a favor, find a good cruise professional and stay with them. They will make sure that you will get the best price and/or upgrades. When cruise lines dump rates through the online agencies, your cruise professional will get you price matched or upgraded (generally a better option). However, once you book through an online agency, what you booked is what you going to get."

Laveena--I don't know if you had the same reaction as us to your cruise, but we are now hooked on cruising! I don't know if we'll be able to do anything else from now on for our vacations!

Hope this helps

Tom
Old 07-10-2003, 03:13 PM

Tom,
Thanks for responding so quickly. Both you and your site are just marvelous and provide an excellent research source for people who are serious about crusing.
I have previously read horror stories about online booking and that's one of the reasons I chose to go with a local travel agent. However, on the day of our trip we got lost while driving to the port and had to call the agent 3 or 4 times to try and get directions. By the 4th call it was painfully apparant that the agent was fustrated by the fact we were lost and you could tell by the tone of her voice. Needless to say we arrived at the port in time, but I was really put off by the frankness in Genie's voice. To this day, she's never even called to see if we made it or not.

I guess what I'm looking for is a really good travel agent specializing in cruises. I'll check the links that you mentioned and hopefully I'll be able to find someone.

Now that I've experienced cruising I believe I'm an addict!! Words can't express the amount of fun we had.....

Thanks again Tom for your advise, you've been a big help!
Old 07-11-2003, 02:30 PM

Did you experience sea sickness?
Old 07-12-2003, 02:13 PM

No, neither me or my boyfriend got seasick. On the first night we went up to the top deck, and looked out into the horizon. (I've heard that this helps to balance your equalibrium). We both were very hopeful that we wouldn't get sick and thank goodness we didnt. Hope this helps!

LaVeena

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, port, seas, sovereign, tampa