Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 11:03 AM

This will be the first cruise for me, my husband and daughter on RCL. Mariner of the Seas, June 4th. The ameneties for kids look great, but I wonder if my daughter will have any problems hooking up with other kids. She is not shy and I don't plan on dumping her....I just don't want constantly have to hang out with her at kids activities. She will be almost 10.
How are the kids activities?
Thanks!!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:32 AM

The RC activities staff is great. You will sign your daughter up for the program at barding, and there will be a meeting the first day with you, but you will rarely see her after that. We had to make a rule with our kids that diners were family time.

Just one other point. While the kids program runs most of the time, and the ship is a relatively safe environment, it is your responsibility to keep track of and control your child’s behavior. I have been on ships were the kids were a problem, and on occasion had problems with my son, who was a hand full during his teen years.

Enjoy your trip, and I know your daughter will have a great time.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:48 PM

Thanks. I am sooo looking forward to it. She is a good kid, but I will keep a close eye.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:02 AM

My kids love the Adventure Ocean program. The way we see it, there are two basic types of kids, those that are complaining as they board that they don't want to go to the kids club, and those that get up at the first sign of sunrise every day and cant wait to get there so they do not miss out on anything. It is the latter set that are there every day. Not only do our kids make friends instantly, they actually have run into the same kids on cruises a year later and remembered each other.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:42 AM

Your daughter will most likely love camp and I bet have no problems making friends. When we went on the Mariner (Nov. 2004) my son & nephew were 10 yrs. and my niece 6 yrs. and they all had a ball at camp. They made new friends and I never saw any of the kids not getting along. It was fun for them to meet new kids from all over the country. My son never even got off the ship; all he wanted to do was go to camp. When we came back from port we'd go see if he wanted to come out of camp (they have self sign-out or parental sign-out) and he didn't want to hang with us, he loved camp and all the kids had a ball. Camp is open until 10 p.m. every night and then from 10 p.m.-1 a.m. it was $5 per hour (goes right on your sea pass card). It was great! We got to enjoy some of the late evening activities and we would go pick him up at 12:30 a.m. and he didn't even want to leave then! We had to drag him out (and there were still lots of kids there at that time too!). We also brought walkie-talkies so when he went to play miniature golf or to the game room, or even exploring we’d keep track of where he was. I know he loved the freedom he felt he had on the ship and he can’t wait to go on our next cruise (this November). So enjoy!
Old 03-11-2006, 09:21 PM

My best advice regarding the kids club is to go to the opening night program--they do a great job getting the kids enthusiastic about it and my older kids (11 and 9) made friends the first night and could not wait to go back, especially for the after hours (which was 10 or 11 until 1). We had late seating so I would bring the kids to the buffet for dinner and then let them go to kids club while we had dinner. The counselors in the program were FANTASTIC.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:49 PM

Thanks for everyone's reply. I especially like the idea of the walkie talkies. We are not going until June 4th and I absolutely can't wait. My daughter and I are on the web everyday researching the ship and ports.
Trish
Old 03-16-2006, 01:54 PM

Another thing we did was to bring along highlighters, and I would get the kids a copy of the Cruise Compass (the newsletter that lists the daily activities) and they would highlight the things that they were interested in doing. It was really easy to keep track that way. My daughter and I loved the Bingo!
Old 03-16-2006, 06:35 PM

HI, We are going on the Mariner in mid May, my sons will turn 12 on June 6th. Should we sign them in with the 12-14 year olds? Can they sign themselves in and out?? We already bought walkie talkies because we do want to know where they are and what they are doing? What are some of the things that they do? Thanks!
DCL Wonder 2007
RCL Enchantment of the Seas 2008
Princess Diamond 2009
RCL Oasis of the Seas 2010
Old 03-20-2006, 07:35 AM

Thanks. Don't hesitate to write if you think of any other tips for families. I feel like a little kid myself

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, club, cruise, easy, friends, hours, kids, make, mariner, marnier, program, reviews, royal, seas, sign