Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 09:09 AM
I have brought this discusion up before how i was disapointed with the arrangements rccl made for us with our flights.
we are to land in jfk newyork at 12:45pm then we dont leave on our connecting flight to san juan 6 hours later which is quiet a lengthy wait.
my question is, would my self and my partner be able to walk out the airport and go downtown to manhatten to kill some time plus it would be a bonus as we have never been to newyork before.
If so what is the best way to get there and be able to take in as many sites as possible in a short time.
Also being a british citizen will our visa enable us to walk out of the airport.
Thanks all

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Administrator

JFK is about 20 miles from Manhattan and the ride can be anywhere from 35 minutes to over an hour depending on traffic. So subtract two hours and you have 4 left. You have to go through TSA security again to re-enter the airport, which is another thing to consider. The wait normally isn't long but it is there. You'll need to be at your gate for the SJU flight in time too, so take another hour away for TSA, getting to the the gate, reclaiming the carry-on luggage from storage, etc., and you have 3 hours left for visiting the sites. That really isn't worthwhile in my opinion.

The AirTrain is the cheapest way to get to and from JFK but you would have to take a subway to get into Manhattan from Jamaica station (the terminus for the train).
Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. How long would it take to go from jfk to manhattan on the train. And is it a direct line.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:34 AM
going of your experience what would you do if you were in our shoes. As 6 hours is along time to wait. Our flights only 8 hrs from the uk!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Look here with particular attention on the "sample travel times and costs". Also look here for information. You would get off the AirTrain at Jamaica and then either take a subway or the LIRR to Penn Station. The AirTrain doesn't go directly into Manhattan.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator

I agree that 6 hours is a long wait, although you will have plenty to keep you busy during that time. As you're flying from the UK, you'll need to clear customs and immigration, for one thing. And, while I've never taken the train from Jamaica, Queens into Manhattan, I have on too many occasions found it difficult to get a taxi back to the airport from Manhattan. And, I wouldn't want to worry about delays on the subway or LIRR.

My suggestion is to visit Manhattan when you have more time to enjoy it. At most, you will have two to three hours given your flight schedules and customs, immigration, security lines, and travel time to/from the airport. JFK can actually be an interesting place. (I've spent some time there. )
Old 08-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

I sat in Orlando for 6 hours this past Monday. It really wasn't that bad. I went and had lunch which took up some time, then I went to the Delta Crown Room and watched TV and read a couple newspapers. I then went for a snack, looked in a couple shops, and went to my gate and waited about 40 minutes before they boarded.

JFK certainly has a lot of food choices, with terminal 6 looking the most interesting. Once I am in the secure area of an airport I really don't like to leave it. I've gone through security and once is enough. Plus you have the hassle of what to do with your carry-on luggage if you leave the airport.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Hi I would be happy at the 6 hour 'contingency' as I have flown into JFK from the UK a number of times and over 50% of the time the flight has been delayed for various reasons. at least this way you wont be worried that you will miss you connection - and a two or three hour delay is not uncommon. With the dollar still go good I would take advantage of starting my holiday shopping or like Dave said have a nice meal, I wouldnt risk going into the city. Have a great cruise and hope you enjoy JFK.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:13 AM
thanks to you all I think we will wait In the airport

Old 08-30-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris 2486:
thanks to you all I think we will wait In the airport
You've made a wise decision.

Sonny

Closed Thread