Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Perfect is a dangerous word to use. No cruise line or hotel can achieve it. This needs to be kept in perspective. It is one complaint about one RCI ship by one person. Marine engineering is complex and a ship's systems cannot be equated to a shore-based hotel/restaurant where you have static conditions. Even something as basic as sea conditions can affect the operation of a ship's potable water system, air conditioning, and septic systems. It is common for a ship's toilets to not flush on the first attempt at pushing the button or pulling the knob. It happens because it is a vacuum operated system. Nothing they can do to change that.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 PM

But we are not talking about potable water...the drinking water had better be perfect...unless they are ready for some major issues. Think of the health issues...afterall, we are not paying for a 3rd world country water system. If the water is a problem, then they are obligated to supply, at the very least, bottled water to those cabins affected.

Of course, we all make allowances for small problems...but rusty or yellow drinking water is not acceptable.

If you cannot do a job right, then you have no business offering the service.
Carnival Sensation 2002
Explorer 2003
Explorer 2004
Adventure 2005
Freedom 2006
Vision 2007
Jewel 2008
Liberty B2B 2009
Solstice B2B 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Administrator

In ship terminology, potable water is the water used for drinking, washing, ice.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:52 PM

And some places use gray water for washing machines, toilets, etc. If RCCL and any other cruise line has a problem with drinking water and rusty pipes...then isn't time for dry dock? If I had a problem at my place...I would feel obligated to offer an alternative...actually, I would insist upon it, otherwise I would be opening myself up for some legal problems.

Now, I am starting to worry about the quality of the water on my next cruise (12 days!)
Carnival Sensation 2002
Explorer 2003
Explorer 2004
Adventure 2005
Freedom 2006
Vision 2007
Jewel 2008
Liberty B2B 2009
Solstice B2B 2010

Old 10-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Cruise ships use potable water standards issued by the CDC. As long as the water remains within established ranges for various chemicals, solvents, dissolved solids, etc., it is considered safe to drink. This is no different than any public water supply, where their tests might show a certain level of impurities but it is still deemed safe - and by the way that includes water in bottles too.

If you are interested you can read the CDC training for cruise ship employees here

Personally I don't worry about it. I "made" water on ships for several years and know more about it than most people. Color may be a turn-off, but it doesn't mean it is unsafe to drink or use.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:41 PM
When I was a young man at the youthful age of nine I was concerned about the rusty water coming out of the sink in our stateroom on the QM- my father reported it and it was running clear within three hours. Thirty years later, I had the opportunity to spend a few days aboard the QM in Long Beach - in the same stateroom!

Sure enough I had rusty water- this time it was still running rusty two days later - the last night I slept ashore in San Pedro!!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 10-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Design can often be a good thing or a bad thing. Old ships also used flush toilets and had more basic centralized plumbing for potable water. In many ways they were easier to work on. Newer ships have modular construction, which while convenient for construction can make online repairs harder.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 AM

Alright, enough about the water - things do happen and sometimes we have to live with it for a short time.

Peterl

Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Alright, enough about the water
You are right. Let me put this thread to bed.

Closed Thread

Tags
bowl, cruise, day, deck, discolored, enchantment, fresh, purification, rccl, rrcl, seas, ship, water, work, yellow