Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2002, 04:26 AM

My husband and I will be cruising the Western Caribbean in October 2003. I would like to hear from those of you who have cruised this time of year. I am a little worried about hurricanes. Not necessarily about safety issues as much as not being able to visit ports. Have any of you experienced this problem? If so, what does RCI do about it? Thanks a bunch! Happy Sailing!

Shelly!!
Old 09-06-2002, 04:26 AM

My husband and I will be cruising the Western Caribbean in October 2003. I would like to hear from those of you who have cruised this time of year. I am a little worried about hurricanes. Not necessarily about safety issues as much as not being able to visit ports. Have any of you experienced this problem? If so, what does RCI do about it? Thanks a bunch! Happy Sailing!

Shelly!!
Old 09-07-2002, 03:05 PM

Please remember that hurricanes move slowly, so if the path of the hurricane is along your scheduled cruise path the Captain will simply change course and you will have the pleasure of going to other places that might possibly provide you with a better cruise experience. Sometimes an unscheduled itinerary turns out to be a case of happy serendipity. cruisebloke
Old 09-07-2002, 04:54 PM

We're from Florida, and so tempted to scoop up some of these terrific deals on cruises, but the deals are there for 2 reasons, Sept. 11th and Hurricane Season. While a Captain will stay away from a hurricane and go to other ports, the storm might be too big to avoid completely. The Cruise LInes don't want to hurt you, and they certainly wouldn't want to cause damage to their multi-million dollar investment. I just would prefer to keep my feet on solid ground at this time. Sure you'll be fine. Where are you going? Some of these places don't have hurricanes, or haven't in over 100 years. Really depends on where you're going.
Old 09-07-2002, 05:44 PM

Sue - Thanks for the input - we are going to Labadee, Ocho Rios, Georgetown and Cozumel. We aren't travelling until October 2003 and I am hoping and praying this world will have settled down a bit by then! Thanks again! - Shelly!
Old 09-07-2002, 09:43 PM

Sounds like an interesting trip. Relax an enjoy the year of planning. We're not letting anything stop us from doing what we want to do. We just returned from a 2 week cruise to Scandinavia and Russia (our 3rd this year), and leaving November 30th for a 10 day Southern Caribbean Medley. We have also flown about 8-9 times since Sept. 11th. The cruise ship (Celebrity Constellation) was a sellout with over 2,000 passengers, and over 1,000 were from the states. The entertainers from the UK all acknowledged this fact, and we had a great time. Everyone that we spoke to felt the same way, go and enjoy, and don't let the terrorists stop what America is all about. My review should be on in a few days, as I'm still putting finishing touches on it. Sue [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2002, 06:24 PM

I sailed over the 9/11 anniversary on explorer...the ship was not that full..and the hurricane season had something to do with it too. It was a little more hot than I like, but our weather was perfect. Explorer has diverted only once in 98 voyages, according to the crew. Although this week she will probably divert one more time due to Isadore. The odds are in your favor. My boss got the Royal Suite for over $10K less than the going rate. I had an A suite for several thousand less. The risk is worth the savings to me...

Queen of Bermuda, New Years '89
Tropicale, 2/99
Explorer of the Seas, 9/7/02
Queen Mary 2, 1/31/04
Radiance of the Seas, 10/18/02
QE2, 6/1/03
Celebrity Infinity, 7/25/03
Grandeur of the Seas, 10/11/03
Queen Mary 2, 1/31/04
Old 09-24-2002, 05:45 PM

Well, since my last post, Explorer has now diverted two more times....the latest this week to avoid TS Lily.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded a diversion or an extra sea day since the Explorer has so much to do and not enough time to do it in.

But if you sail during the fall, you should not be married to the itinerary.

Queen of Bermuda, New Years '89
Tropicale, 2/99
Explorer of the Seas, 9/7/02
Queen Mary 2, 1/31/04
Radiance of the Seas, 10/18/02
QE2, 6/1/03
Celebrity Infinity, 7/25/03
Grandeur of the Seas, 10/11/03
Queen Mary 2, 1/31/04

Closed Thread