Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 02:00 PM

Hi group! I just went on my first cruise with Carnival in March. I had booked another on Liberty, but it was just cancelled for a dry-dock period.

We're now booked on Navigator of the Seas on Feb. 25th, 2008.

Any advice or words of wisdom on differences between the lines? Do you have a favorite and why?

Also, my daughter was born on Leap Day and we'll celebrate her 4/16 birthday onboard. Do you think they'll have anything special planned for this odd little "holiday"?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:47 AM

If you let them know about your daughter's birthday, they will serve her a cake at dinner and put balloons on the door of the cabin. RCL is a little more classy than Carnival, but not stuffy at all. The food is about the same and the ammenities on board are comparable. They offer children activities on board. I'm sure you'll enjoy RCI as much, if not more, than Carnival. Best wishes!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:46 AM

The Navigator is a "Voyager" class ship which means it's one of the biggest ships on the seas. You'll really enjoy the ice skating show! So far I found the Navigator to have the best food of all the RCCL ships. If it means anything, I've been on 34 RCCL cruises. The Liberty will even be a little bigger!

Sonny

Old 04-06-2007, 11:17 AM

gkyagermom - my son is also a leap baby! He's 4 3/4 (19). I always said we'd do something special on his "real" birthday. I never thought about a cruise. We're going in August - maybe I can count it as an early present?

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

Our family has cruised on both RCCL and Carnival. There are few differences. RCCL is a little more polished and sophisticated (for lack of better words). Menu selections at dinner seatings were identical for us. Although, on RCCL our waiter served 6 of us @ our table and he hand-cut everyone's meat for them. Hard to go back home and make PB&J after that! When priced out, we have always found Carnival to be a bit more reasonable. There are subtle differences in lines.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:05 AM

I think some of you misunderstood my daughter's age (not you, lpj!)
As a leap-child, she'll celebrate her 4th Feb. 29th onboard...making her 16. I don't think she'd like the wait staff to cut her meat for her!

Our other child is a son, who will just have turned 18. Not quite sure how that will work--will he be allowed in the teen areas? I'd like to think they could spend some time hanging out together--away from respective friends, they actually appear to like each other (a little)

My main question had to do with "special days"--pseudo holidays like Leap Day. I'm thinking Leap Frog contests, green drinks,etc. Has anyone sailed on a Leap Day before?

Thanks for all the replied--I'm very excited to be on Navigator of the Seas. Our first cruise was on Carnival's Imagination. Very nice, but smaller. With the kids, I thought the larger ship would offer more for them.

One more question--rules say we book with an adult in each room, so I imagine the beds in each room will be set up as twins. How perverted will we look if we ask to have the beds combined in the room my husband and son are booked to share?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:14 AM

Our travel agent booked my son & daughter in one room even though he's only 19. As I understand it we're OK because our rooms are next to each other.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-07-2007, 11:47 AM

We've already gotten our room assignments--one balcony and one promenade--the kids want that one. They think it'll be fun to watch what's going on below.

Our TA didn't want to "rock the boat" (*smile*),
so he put dad and son in one room, daughter and I in the other. We're hoping a request (or a well-placed $20) might get the adults together.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:17 AM

I won't be a problem once you're on board. They don't keep track of who are in the cabins. The Promenade cabins are really great. We had our first on the Navigator in March. It was fun watching the parades from our window.

Sonny

Old 04-11-2007, 11:11 AM

gkyagermom,
We have cruised in Carnival and on RCI. We enjoyed RCI better, because it had better service (room service and at dinner), and a better children's program. Don't get me wrong, you will have a great time on either cruise line as long as you don't let the little things bother you. I have never cruise on leap year, so I cannot give you any info on that aspect. I was just wondering, are kids out during that time of the year? If not, the amount of teens in the ship may be limited. I guess spring break is different everywhere, but the best time to travel with kids is during spring break and during the summer when most kids are out. This way you are always guaranteed that they will find friends and give mom and dad a little time to reconnect . Everyone is happy.
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Sovereign of the Seas 2/08
Enchantment of the Seas 4/08
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, rcl