Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 10:24 AM

Hello all.

I'm going on a trip to the western caribbean in early March from Miami. Couple of quick questions.

1. I was planning on flying into Ft Lauderdale the night before because I'm scared of getting delayed and missing the ship. My travel agent says that I can't use the RC transfer from the airport to the ship because I'm not flying in on the same day. I was talking to a friend of mine that did the same thing I was going to do with no problem. They just showed up at the airport the day of the cruise and the RC people were there and just gave them the transfer. So I don't know if I should try it or not. I don't want to get stuck in Ft L, but I don't want to risk missing the ship because of an airline delay.

2. What is the RC policy on bringing outside drinks onboard the ship? If I want to bring some cans of Pepsi on board because I don't like Coke or whatnot. Am I allowed? Do they search/x-ray your luggage for such things?

Thanks for the input.

Can't wait for my cruise!!

Zack
Old 01-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Welcome to Cruise-Chat.

First off, you are doing the right thing by flying down a day early. It is never a good idea to fly down on the day of the cruise.

Running back to the airport with all of that mess, carrying your luggage, why bother with it when a shuttle can be had for not that much money? Get a hotel for the day before the cruise, relax and have a nice dinner, and then go from your hotel to the ship the next morning. Try Top Shuttle which is highly endorsed by our very own forum regular SonnyV!

Old 01-08-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
What is the RC policy on bringing outside drinks onboard the ship? If I want to bring some cans of Pepsi on board because I don't like Coke or whatnot. Am I allowed? Do they search/x-ray your luggage for such things?
Another Pepsi (only) person. So can we bring a case on board with us?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:09 PM

Hello Zack, welcome to Cruise-Chat. You shouldn't have any problem bringing Pepsi on board. I wouldn't try to bringing a weeks supply, gets kind of heavy. You'll find Pepsi products on shore at your ports of call. Same thing goes for bottled water.

We're going in March also. Normally we fly into Ft. Lauderdale a day or two before. This time we're not because of our friends that are sailing with us. I'm a little concerned, but that's what insurance is all about. When in Ft. Lauderdale we try to find a hotel near the airport that has free shuttle service. That way we only have to pay for the shuttle to the Port of Miami. It's $75 for one to four passengers. They don't try to fill the van with passengers anymore. If you have four passengers it's only $18.75 each. You won't be able to purchase a transfer from RCCL unless you travel the same day of the cruise. It would probably cost you more than a shuttle will cost. When is your cruise date? What ship?

Sonny

Sonny

Old 01-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Sonny,

Flying down on the day of the cruise? You are definitely living on the edge!

Old 01-08-2007, 02:57 PM

I'm finding that living on the edge is another spice of life. Like growing and eating scotch bonnets.

Sonny

Old 01-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator

"A Pepper Grows In Racine".....perhaps a book title for your travels?

I like heat in my food, but find I have to use caution to not over do it when using scotch bonnets or habaneros.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:12 PM
We always go down the day before and have found getting a shuttle to the port is just as easy to arrange as the cruise line transfer. The hotel will do it for you when you check in. We usually stay near the port of Miami and watch the ships from the hotel. usually the hotel is full of similar guests leaving on cruises the next day, so make your shuttle reservations as you check in.
We are going on the Freedom of the Seas on March 11, 2007. Which ship and date are you going?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-08-2007, 07:39 PM

Any reason you are not just flying into Miami? A hotel in Miami near the port is not too expensive. Even if you stay near the airport and then taxi into the port the next day wouldn't be too bad. If you must go into Ft Lauderdale, do as Dave suggested and do the shuttle thing. By the time you paid to get back to the airport AND paid for the RCL transfer, you will have paid about 3 times (per person) what the shuttle will cost you.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-09-2007, 04:39 AM

Thanks everyone for your input!

I'm doing the Western Caribbean from Miami - March 3-10.

The reason I'm going into FT L instead of Miami is that the airfare is over 200 pp cheaper.

Closed Thread