Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 01:44 PM

I'm not sure if anyone knows, but how do you get a comp. upgrade i have heard stories of people getting upgrades when they board the ship, is there something I need to do or say in advance?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:48 PM

msjaxson,

I recommend reading this excellent article on the subject.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Raoul-that is an excellent article and extremely informative-Thank You for passing it on to us all!
BillyBuzzy
Old 06-22-2006, 08:23 AM

Raoul,
I read the article and what is not mentioned is "accomodation". In other words, if you give me enough business, I will do special things for you in return. Ergo, the TA that books in excess of one million dollars per year in business is able to pick up the phone, talk to the "right" people and get upgrades for his best clients (and himself of course) because the cruise line wants more of that TA's business and is willing to accomodate. Does it happen all the time? Of course not, if the ship is totally booked, no; if the only thing left is the penthouse, probably not but if a suite is open, you can be sure it probably will happen and it doesn't matter how many diamond, platinum and every other precious and semi-precious stones and metals there are waiting for an upgrade or how early they booked.

How do I know? Because I have been on the receiving end of some of these upgrades.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:39 AM

I agree with you Chucks OK. I was wanting a specific cruise at a great price that was offered on the internet, when I called RCI they told me the entire ship was sold out on that specific cruise and there was nothing they could do. I called my travel agent and two days later was called with my confirmation #. He said it was a perk due to their volume of service with RCI. He was able to get me a great room at the price I saw on the internet.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:17 PM

Yeah well I thought the same thing about getting a "comp or upgrade"... I wouldn't count on it. These ships usually fill up and there is no rooms available or if they are RCCL charge you the difference. We tried to get an upgrade when we checked in on the Mariner in June and this is what we were told.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:06 PM

UPGRADES? Please... I'm a Diamond Plus Member and one of the perks I'm suppose to get, is a call from Crown & Anchor, with any available upgrade. NEVER HAPPENS! It's always "the ship is full". In October I'll be on my 30th cruise with RCCL, and so far I never got an upgrade, and don't expect to. I do hear about gold and platinum members getting them though... hmmmm.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SONNYV:
UPGRADES? Please... I'm a Diamond Plus Member and one of the perks I'm suppose to get, is a call from Crown & Anchor, with any available upgrade. NEVER HAPPENS! It's always "the ship is full". In October I'll be on my 30th cruise with RCCL, and so far I never got an upgrade, and don't expect to. I do hear about gold and platinum members getting them though... hmmmm.
Sonny,
That's cuz they know they have you by the short ones! You're hooked and they don't have to give you any perqs to keep you coming back!

Old 07-10-2006, 03:52 PM

Chuck,
Does my gulliblity show that much? This is getting serious! I'll have to pay closer attention to what my T-shirts say.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
...the perks for being a frequent customer. With RCCL I get $200 off every balcony cabin and free drinks from 5pm to 8:30pm., not a bad perk.
Sonny,
And here you had me feeling SORRY for you!

I'll bet you even have one of those Freedom of the Seas "surfboard styled" bath mats that you haven't told us about!

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, royal, upgrades