Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 06:01 AM

A co-worker is leaving tomorrow on a RCI cruise to the Carribean. She has Verizon service and was wondering if she will be able to utilize the phone once she is out of port. Does anyone know what the fees are? Any information will be a big help. Thanks.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-12-2008, 06:01 AM

A co-worker is leaving tomorrow on a RCI cruise to the Carribean. She has Verizon service and was wondering if she will be able to utilize the phone once she is out of port. Does anyone know what the fees are? Any information will be a big help. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:44 AM
As a back-up question, I also have Verizon wireless for my laptop. Same question-will it also work?
(For anyone else, NEXTEL[Sprint] will NOT work)

Need some cruise help?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 AM

i believe the cell phone will work - im not sure of the exact fees, but it will be expensive

it may be cheaper in some US owned ports

not sure about the internet
Old 06-12-2008, 09:41 AM

I went to Verizon yesterday for this same thing. Their computers went down but I'm going back in soon to see where they offer coverage. Last year I couldn't get service at all. I'll let you know when I find out.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-12-2008, 09:58 AM

Most cell phone providers have plan service available but your phone has to be set for international settings while traveling. If you call them in advance of your trip they can advise how to get it to work. Some even have the ability to provide service from the ship even without being within range of a tower. They have sattelite access. However, it will be very expensive in roaming and other charges to use your phone. The best bet is to go to the port of your choice and buy a long distance phone card and use a local phone or pay phone for checking in back home. This will have minimal cost vs the per minute costs of using your cell phone for international calling. Another option is the disposable cell phones you buy for around $20. and a card for them. They won't reach service from the ship for most of your trip but can recieve a signal from some ports. You can find out who the provider is and if they have a tower on the island you'll be visiting. One such provider is Virgin Mobile, they have access to the Sprint system, so if Sprint has a tower you'll have reception with this one. Again, there is an international setting on the phones you may have to change setting to get it to work but with these "Buy your own minutes" phones there are no long distance or roaming charges. They work anywhere in the world that they can reach a signal.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-12-2008, 10:01 AM

Can I buy a long distance phone card here in the US or do I have to buy it at the port?

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-12-2008, 10:41 AM

I imagine you can buy one here as well, just be sure it can be used from enywhere in the world without getting fewer minutes on calls for anywhere.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-12-2008, 10:58 AM

Thank you all for your information - it was very useful.

Lizzyjane

Old 06-13-2008, 06:28 PM

I have Verizon and was able to use the cell phone in the ports but once we were a distance out to sea, I had no bars and was unable to call or text.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, caribean, cell, charge, cruise, distance, long, mobile, nextel, phone, price, rci, royal, ships, verizon, virgin, work