Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Buying Liquor (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/3093-buying-liquor.html)

Danno 08-18-2002 07:51 AM

Do any of the ships frown on people bringing there own liquior on the ship (as long as its kept in your cabin?)

Danno 08-18-2002 07:51 AM

Do any of the ships frown on people bringing there own liquior on the ship (as long as its kept in your cabin?)

Oggy Boy 08-18-2002 08:13 PM

Most (if not all) ships will not allow you to board liquor (with the exception of wine and champagne in most cases) and will confiscate it when caught trying. Bummer.

Here are some of the suggestions I have heard (even though I do not drink hard liquor)

Fill a water bottle with vodka, tequila or gin

Fill a coke bottle with scotch or bourbon

Carry on a gift wrapped bottle of booze as a bon voyage gift.

In Hawaii, buy the mini bottle leis and simply wear them onto the ship.

Tom

mattinla 08-19-2002 07:03 PM

You can smuggle hard liquor aboard in your checked bags (wrap it well!!)...but not a guarantee. You can use the water bottle trick in your carry on. But also, a little known thing they do is allow you to buy the liquor at a duty free price, and pay a $9.00 fee to carry it back to your room. For me, I like Absolut. Here in LA a liter bottle runs easily $24-25. On the ship it's around $10 duty free. Add the $9 fee, and I'm still ahead. Plus I could buy 2 liters of Absolut and still only pay one $9 fee. So I have no reason to smuggle something heavy and bulky.

This applies to Caribbean cruises..not sure if they do this on all itineraries.

Queen of Bermuda, New Years '89
Tropicale, 2/99
Explorer of the Seas, 9/7/02
Queen Mary 2, 1/31/04

Kelly 09-19-2002 01:46 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Danno:
Do any of the ships frown on people bringing there own liquior on the ship (as long as its kept in your cabin?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard of people pouring whiskey (i.e. Crown Royal) into the 1 liter Nestea bottles.

suzie 09-19-2002 03:27 PM

Hi! Does anybody know about bring beer on board?
Thanks!

suzie 09-19-2002 03:28 PM

oops...BRINGING...not bring. I don't like typos!
[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Sue 09-19-2002 05:18 PM

Even if you buy on board, you can't consume onboard, as they keep the liquor to your last night, and then deliver to your stateroom. Just not worth it with the weight and size restrictions of luggage now. Check that out before you make a decision to carry heavy bottles.Overweight and oversize luggage cost megabucks these days.

mattinla 09-24-2002 05:43 PM

Sue, on Royal Caribbean (at least in the Caribbean) you can pay the extra $9.50 service fee to bring a bottle purchased at their duty free shop back to your cabin. That was why I didn't bing any with me. The liter of absolut was $19.45 with the fee. Here in Los Angeles, it is still more, so no point carrying it. And your point about the weight of the bags is well taken. Luggage fees have become a new source of revenue for the airlines.

Queen of Bermuda, New Years '89
Tropicale, 2/99
Explorer of the Seas, 9/7/02
Queen Mary 2, 1/31/04