Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Well gosh! Just returned from the Liberty of Seas in Feb. and they were shooting for the new brochure while we were on board. I can assure anyone who wants to know that these photogs were only shooting the professional actors and models for broad distribution. I felt perfectly safe going head over teakettle on the flo-rider with these folks in line with me.

Can anyone remember the "agony of defeat" guy crashing helplessly down a ski-hill in the opening credits of "Wide World of Sports" for about a decade? try being that guy!
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM

That brings back memories, Laurie. Each time I saw it, I cringed. Were you able to stand up on the Flo-rider?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Laurie, thanks. That is the bottom line - they use models for the promotional images. If I opened a cruise brochure and saw photos of people that look like me (aka the typical cruise passenger) I'd not be motivated to cruise with that line! Like many legal matters, words are often added to cover any eventuality no matter how far-fetched. Hence the words about nuclear explosions in insurance policies.

I wonder what they do with the old security photos they take when you first board the ship? Perhaps the crew looks at the old ones and howl with laughter?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Seemed a tad over the top and heavy handed to me, but we accepted on the logic that noone would want our ugly mugs in an ad or on a DVD.
Seems like this solves it, doesn't it? No worries!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:56 PM

I stuck to knee-boarding as I have a $5000 deductable on my health insurance.

My husband and daughter went to the stand-up times and had a great time. Curiously, my daughter did end up on the DVD on the flowrider (and dancing as well) for our cruise. I was more worried about the foreign guy on a tender who seemed to be taking an inordinate amount of footage of her (not kidding) than the videographer for RCCL. I think I had a fair idea of what RCCL was going to do with his footage, but the passenger--not so much! My husband, a formidable 160 lb. 5'6" blonde swede, staired him down. I am certain he put his camera away because of shear terror--we're Minnesota-Nice afterall, no confrontations. I do kind of wonder why he was so intent on filming her . . .
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-08-2008, 01:11 PM

LOL, I'd stick to boogy-boarding. If they had a competition on wipe-outs, I'd probably win hands down.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:45 PM

I took my first cruise last year. They came up to us as we were boarding the ship and wanted us to pose for a picture. My hair was messy and I was hot and tired, so I just said "no, thank you". He said "Have a good trip" and waved us off.

And theoretically, being on their ship gives them the legal authority to film or photograph you in any non-private areas (such as shower, restroom) they wish. Think of Wal-Mart or a Bank. You get filmed all over those places, right? They cant guarantee your security or practice "due diligince" in protecting you if they dont monitor whats going on.

There are federal tort laws that protect the use of the likness of a person, and no contract pre-empts federal law. Royal Caribbean is aware of that, and they wont do anything that violates those laws.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Administrator

A lot of what is written into a cruise line contract has it's roots in a lawsuit. Now, I am not opposed to good trial lawyers. Having good attorneys represent me in a personal injury claim is why I was able to retire so young. But it would not surprise me to learn that sometime in the past, a Carnival passenger sued because they were in some trivial photo and they hadn't signed a release or were otherwise compensated.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Bingo, the magic word, compensated
Old 04-08-2008, 05:26 PM

I was just on an RCL cruise last week, and their 80's night (which we thought was simply going to be dancing) turned out to be a big video shoot. All we wanted to do was dance, but the MC was running around between everyone in the crowd with the camera man behind him literally shoving the camera in everyone's face. Sorry, but that's not my cup of tea.

You want to video tape people dancing, at least have the decency to inform people before you start that you're going to be videotaping them for the end of cruise DVD...rather than shoving the camera in their face when at that time they have little choice other than to keep dancing and try to smile, or turn around and leave the dance floor.

Needless to say, the dancing was not an 80's dance night - it was simply a prefabricated videotaping session for RCL. It's rather disgusting if you ask me.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, clause, copyright, outrageous, photo, photos, pictures, rights, royal, ship, waiver