Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Needless to say, the dancing was not an 80's dance night - it was simply a prefabricated videotaping session for RCL.
That is over-the-top and I would have been angry too. Good thing I don't dance.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 PM

Dave,

I'm glad you agree. We were more disappointed in how the whole thing ended up than angry.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
A lot of what is written into a cruise line contract has it's roots in a lawsuit. Now, I am not opposed to good trial lawyers. Having good attorneys represent me in a personal injury claim is why I was able to retire so young. But it would not surprise me to learn that sometime in the past, a Carnival passenger sued because they were in some trivial photo and they hadn't signed a release or were otherwise compensated.
It not alway that they want to be compensated. This topic comes up now and then on a photo forum I go to.
Sometimes people just do like like to have the pic taken.
Sometime (and this has happen) they are somewhere they should not be and get caught on the news or some other way. A lady was caught camping in Colorado when she was suppose to be on home in bed ... not camping.
Sometimes they are with someone they are not supposed to be with , and it airs on the news. Everything that happens in Vegas does not always stay in Vegas .

Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 PM

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't copyright law say that the rights to pictures belong to the photographer or their employer (if working for someone)? So, therefore, any pictures taken on cruise ships, by employees of the cruise lines--belong to the cruise line.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 AM

we knew someone who called in sick to work and ended up on the front page of the Minneapolis paper sitting in the stands at the Twin's home opener. It was a big picture. She did not keep her job. Going out in public, apparently, has its share of risks.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Going out in public, apparently, has its share of risks.
But only if a lie put the person in that situation.

That is a great example of fair use of a photograph taken in a public domain.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM

spoheat the wife and I were on the same cruise...we had a blast and did not let that filming distract us one bit.

abcruisin,
If it bothers you that much my suggestion would be to stay home or find another way to vacation and leave cruising to those that will enjoy it.
Having options is one of the great things about this country. If you don't like it don't do it.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:30 PM

Matkanmich, were you able to stand up on the flo-rider? We're just going to have to do a cruise on the Freedom to try it. I'm sure I'd spend more time off the board than on.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:15 AM

I don't know much about these type of laws. I was on Carnival's Holiday in 2001, and they were videotaping an episode of "Shipmates". I was in one of the scenes they were doing, and they asked me to sign some type of waiver. That was from the production company though if I recall. Thank goodness I was edited out of the episode.

Again, my only problem would be the use for commercial gain and distribution without my express permission.

It is actually a good thing that people are reading the fine print in the contracts. Not much one can complain about once they agree to it.

Dwayne
Old 04-19-2008, 02:26 PM

penny3333, The first couple of times you stand up for a few seconds..then after practicing you can stand for a while longer. By the end of the cruise many people are standing up for a minute or more. My problem is gravity has taken control of my belly and once I get leaning in a direction I fall (hahahahaaa), but it was an absolute blast

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, clause, copyright, outrageous, photo, photos, pictures, rights, royal, ship, waiver