Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2007, 12:04 PM

I feel sorry for this family who suffered a tragic jet ski accident, but it points out the problems with renting these things.

I noticed how quick RCCL was to point out they have no connection with the renting company. But I also note how prominent the Jet Skis show up in their commercials. Anyone want to talk wagers on how long the commercial with the teen girl on the jet ski will continue to air?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned

Every parent's worst nightmare. How horribly tragic and completely senseless.

If it is true, and RCCL is not affiliated with this jet ski rental company, this is a great advertisement for why you should book excursions through the cruise line. It's better to be safe than sorry, IMO.

A'ndrea
Old 07-16-2007, 12:17 PM

First of all, my heartfelt condolences to the family of the deceased. We read about these instances far too often to be considered a freak accident. Personal watercraft can be dangerous even when properly operated. I have one and I am very cautious when riding. The article didn't mention whether it was him or his mother driving. In Alabama, children under the age of 12 are not able to legally operate any type of aquatic vehicle. Some factory jet skis are capable of 80+ mph. Folks, that's fast on land or water. Of course, once you are on tierra firma the ship is going to decline any fault whatsoever. To their credit, they do warn any and all about the dangers of renting any type of motorized vehicles. And unfortunately, U.S. maritime law is not exactly enforced in the Bahamas. It is a terrible tragedy and hopefully this will make others think twice about their shoretime activities.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:33 PM

That is the point I was getting at DR. I own and ride a Harley, I am very cautious when I ride but even then you never know when a true accident can happen. I would NEVER consider renting a motorcycle out of the country. Road laws as well as local road "practices" are different everywhere and its just unsafe to do this. Same thing goes for water craft. You get people who have maybe never driven a water craft before renting something that can do 45 mhp on water with very little in the way of instruction. People think that because its water that you can't get hurt falling off. Hit a big wave at 40 mph and you'll find out differently.

I can't imagine what this family is going through.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-16-2007, 12:59 PM

It is sad and I feel terrible for them. To your other question? No more jet ski ads as of 8/1.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:40 PM

What a tragic end to a wonderful vacation. Such a young life. Jim C you are so right, water is like concrete, ask any high diver. My heart goes out to the family and I pray that is was not one of the other family members that hit the child. We've only rented jet skis through the ships, even then we are careful, but accidents can happen in a heart beat. Don't know if y'all saw the news about the little boy that was killed on the 4th of July here. They had a mortar set up on the picnic table, they were all 30 feet away, the family dog brushed into the picnic table, knocking the mortar over. It hit the little boy in the chest, he died of blunt force trauma. Chef Ken, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the commercial.

Closed Thread

Tags
accident, caribbean, carnival, commercial, cruise, deatth, died, girl, jet, jetski, jetskis, killed, lines, royal, ski, skiing