Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Either way is better than a "poke in the eye with a sharp stick"....I prefer eating when I want to eat...but then that's a personal preference....Ever get stuck at a table with people you couldn't stand?....Happy Cruising anyway...

Bob E
Old 05-09-2009, 06:29 AM

I think it's clear that everyone has different opinions on the subject. Bottom line is each individual needs to choose what works best for them. I think the original concern has been answered. I am closing this thread since it seems to be taking on a sarcastic turn.

This post has been reopened for further discussion as long as it stays on track.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:06 PM

We were on the Serenade in March and ended up in MTD. We dislike the large table setting and wanted a table for 2. When we went to try and change our table assigment we went to the MTD desk instead of the Matre'd desk. We were informed how it would work and absolutely loved it. We like to eat early so lines were not a problem. In fact we ate at 6 each night ( same as the first seating we originally had) we asked for, and received the same table each night ( table for 2 next to the window which I must say was magnificent as we spent one entire dinner sailing along the coast of St Lucia to the Pitons). We had the same waiter, head waiter and asst waiter each night who were among the best wait staff we have ever had.
We were in and out in about an hour which is what we like.

As someone else stated this is a personal choice. We like the dining room but don't really want to socialize with other guests ( not big small talkers), others may not like the formal dinner setting and opt for the Windjammer ( I believe Sonny mentioned this some time ago. Our wait staff knew our preferences as well as any other wait staff we have ever had and in fact this cruise was the first time I have ever added a tip above the recommended amount. That is how much the wait staff in MTD added to the overall enjoyment of the cruise.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:29 PM

Wilson, that was an excellent review of your "My Time Dining" experience. I think it's great that there's another option to dining.

Sonny
Old 05-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
we went to the MTD desk instead of the Matre'd desk.
That's nice to know there's a separate desk. I haven't encountered that on other lines... yet. It's a great idea.

Thank you for your review!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:46 AM

I am now reading and checking cruise chat daily to look for new info and read the new threads. I am learning so much (even though I've done two cruises in the past on another line).

We are really excited to have our next cruise experience include our 4 children (their first time). I'm intrigued by the My Time Dining. I definitely want them to experience the traditional dining experience, but also would like to make sure we only have a table for the six of us (want to really spend time talking as a family, not necessarily with strangers). Will we be assigned a table for six in the traditional dining seating? Can I request a table by the window in advance of our cruise? Or will it be easier to accomodate these requests if we just do MTD instead of the formal dinner setting?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-11-2009, 06:54 AM

BarbH, with a party of 6, you're almost guaranteed a table of your own. Most tables in the main dining room are either 4,6,or 8. There are some 2, 10 or 12 tops, but not many. Your TA should be able to confirm a table for 6. If you made your reservations on your own, you could call RCI and they could confirm a table for you. If you'd rather do the My Time, then please let them know, as main seating is usually at a premium.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:28 AM

BarbH check your table assignment shortly after you board. If it is not what you want see the dining room manager to change it--there will be others changing too and chances are very good you will get what you want. We got a 6 this year (there were 5 of us), and have had a 4 top the past 6 cruises.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 AM

I understand there are alot of pluses to ATD, but the waiting to be seated, new waiter to train at each meal, and how it effects the staff are BIG concerns....so now do we start a thread on the best staff on each ship. I have heard Gordon from India on the Grandeur of the Seas mentioned in several posts, excellent !
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 AM

Oh, my heavens, that would be so incredibly difficult. We've had such marvelous wait staff on every ship.

Closed Thread

Tags
anytime, cruise, dining, enchantment, fixed, free, freestyle, gratuities, miss, pf, prepaid, princess, raiance, seas, seated, style, time, vs