Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

And so our cruise on the maiden voyage of Freedom Of The Seas is over. What a wonderful cruise this was! I cannot recommend this ship any higher - it was really that good. Great crew. No, superb crew! Amazing ship with something for everyone. Despite the size and number of people, it felt no more crowded than a smaller ship. The reasons? So many venues to absorb the 4000 plus passengers. Room to really spread out. I never saw all the deck chairs full. The H2O zone attracted most of the kids which kept the main pools reasonably quiet for the adults. The Flowrider was a wild success. Very popular attraction. And while popular you could still get your turn in good time. A cult developed with the Flowrider. You got a wrist band for every day you used it, since you had to sign a new waiver each day. The hardcore folks took to keeping the old bands on and at the end of the week they had an arm full of them! A badge of courage perhaps?

There were some nits, but nothing big until we were off the ship on Sunday. The luggage area was pretty much a mess for those who didn't take part in the early-off program for those who toted their own luggage. Our color was called at 7:30am which was about 90 minutes earlier than listed in the Cruise Compass. However when we got to the baggage carousel it was another hour or so before the first bag with our color even appeared. I am not sure what happened. Hopefully RCCL will get a handle on this. There were lots of frustrated people in the terminal!

But I refuse to let this little blip ruin my memory of the Freedom. I am so happy I chose this cruise. I am already considering sister ship Liberty Of The Seas for next year.

Kudos to RCI! As we say in the south.....you done good!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:01 AM

Dave, can you tell me who the cruise director is on the Freedom of the Seas? Was he good? We went on the Navigator last year and they had the funniest cruise director. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Administrator

It is currently Ken Rush but he will be leaving Freedom in a few weeks for a two month break. He then returns for 4 months and then leaves permanently and goes on to join the "take out" crew for Liberty Of The Seas.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:39 PM

Ken was on the maiden voyage year of the voyager of the seas. He must do a lot with ship start ups.
I'm confused what you mean by leaving permanently but on the takeout crew of Liberty of seas (is that rccl or carnival?)
thanks for all the info
Old 06-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Don't confuse the Carnival Liberty with the Liberty Of The Seas. Two different ships.

RCCL has what they call "take out" crews for their new ships according to Ken Rush. Many people go from ship to ship as they are readied to leave the shipyard. Ken is one of them. This ensures that experienced people are in place which makes for a good time for the first cruise passengers.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:15 PM

ken rush is the man.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by calvs88:
ken rush is the man.
Trust me, he knows.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:49 PM

Hi Dave,

I will be sailing on freedom in october with my girlfriend. She does get motion sickness on ships. Did you notice many people suffering from motion/sea sickness?
Also, what was the movement like on the ship?

Cheers,
Flippa.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Administrator

We had good weather for virtually all of the cruise. On the evening run from Grand Cayman to Montego Bay we went through the tropical wave that eventually became that tropical storm. We had to make up time since we left late and the ship was running at full speed with maybe 5 to 7 foot seas. There was some minor movement but not bad. The other parts of the cruise were amazingly smooth. The Captain said Freedom was the best riding ship he had ever been on. He also said we ran most of the cruise without the stabilizers because they simply were not needed.

Closed Thread

Tags
16, captain, complaints, cruise, director, fredom, freedom, jan, od, people, sea, seas, seasick, sickness, stabilizers