Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 11:16 AM

My husband and I just returned from a cruise on Celebrity...loved it, now are thinking of letting the kids experience a cruise. We are looking at 5 days out of Galveston (March 17th - 22nd. Good choice?? (weather, activties, food..) We felt pretty spoiled on Celebrity and wonder if we should keep this as our special trip (cruises) and stick to snowboarding spring break vacations with the kids. (All boys ages 8,10,14 & 15) Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:16 AM

My husband and I just returned from a cruise on Celebrity...loved it, now are thinking of letting the kids experience a cruise. We are looking at 5 days out of Galveston (March 17th - 22nd. Good choice?? (weather, activties, food..) We felt pretty spoiled on Celebrity and wonder if we should keep this as our special trip (cruises) and stick to snowboarding spring break vacations with the kids. (All boys ages 8,10,14 & 15) Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:03 PM

Hi,
If you want to take your kids on a cruise I would suggest RCCL over Celebrity. RCCL would be more geared for kids. You would be sailing on the Splendor which is a "Vision" class ship. There would be more for the kids to do. I think you will find the food really good but not great like on the Celebrity ship. The rooms are smaller on RCCL ships too. If it were my choice to make, I would choose making cruises my special vacation without the kids. I'm taking each of my Grandchildren on a cruise for their 10th birthday, (doing that next month) but, it's a special occasion. I'm just glad I can go along.

Sonny

Old 11-10-2006, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the advice. As I was doing my home work about this cruise it got sold out! So now we are looking at the next one which will make the kids miss a few days of school...which believe it or not may shoot the whole trip (per them not me!) We plan on having a family meeting to decide but I'm am inclined to agree with you about keeping the cruises for just my husband and I. But its so tempting especially since they have extended the requirements for passports for another 2 years. The extra money on passports sure makes the cruise a less expensive option.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:43 PM

good luck w/ your decision. my husband and i were in the same boat...went on a cruise, loved it and wanted the kids to experience it, too. we are booked on celebrity in april and were afraid there might not be enough for them to do. but a lot of posters here seem to think that during easter break, there would be plenty of other kids and that even celebrity ships make an extra effort to entertain kids during holidays. but now, we only have 2 and you guys have 4!!!! whatever you decide, good luck. but i bet they'd have a ball just being on the ship, no matter what! the NEXT cruise could always be the 'mom and dad only'!!
Old 11-11-2006, 08:27 PM

Hi Snokler8 I would also recommend the Freedom or one of the Voyager class ships over A Celebrity cruise ship for the kids. From my experience the RCCL ships are more geared for it than the Celebrity ships. Not that I think the Celebrity are bad ships its the other way they are great ships but they are just more geared toward the adults I feel. Another good one for the kids is Disney. But they can't offer the things a Voyager Class ship can or The Freedom. But all RCCL ships have programs for the kids.

1981 Dolphin IV
1983 Rhapsody
1984 Dolphin IV & Memorez
1985 Dolphin IV & Carnivale & Mardi Gras
1986 Dolphin IV & Royale
1987 Royale & Oceanic
1988 Dolphin IV & Emerald Seas
1989 Norway & Regent Sea
1990 Norweigan Sun & Dolphin IV
1991 Norway & Oceanic
1992 Fantasy & Dolphin Iv
1993 Ecstasy
1994 Fantasy & Atlantic
1995 Zenith
1996 Fantasy
2000 Sovereign of the Seas
2002 Sovereign of the Seas & Radiance of the Seas, Voyager of the Seas
2003 Sovereign of the Seas & Fantasy
2004 Sovereign of the Seas & Mariner of the Seas
2005 Sovereign of the Seas (3 times) & Mariner of the Seas
2006 Sovereign of the Seas (3 times) Already Booked again for November and also booked the Radiance (FEb).

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 12-26-2006, 03:35 PM

quote:
But its so tempting especially since they have extended the requirements for passports for another 2 years.

They extended the passport requirement for another 2 years?? I was completely unaware of this. Does this mean that if we sail into Cozumel from Florida (great adventurers, I know...but we had so much fun last year) we still don't need passports yet?
Steph

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Administrator

The passport requirements for cruises in the Caribbean have been delayed for one year. They take effect on January 1, 2008. Still no reason to delay getting a passport. Why are so many people against it? It is going to be a requirement for ALL travel sooner rather than later. At some point in the next couple of years nobody will be able to leave the U.S. without a passport.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:54 AM

I have been taking my daughter for cruises since she was 6 or 7. Mostly RCCL or Celebrity but also other lines like Regent ( then Radisson). She loved cruising and made lots of friends. Dont hesitate about taking your kids on a cruise. It is a great experience and teaches them a lot of things. I once went on a cruise where a 16 year old didnt know how to use a fork and knife! They learn table manners and social conversation and a whole lot of other things
Old 12-27-2006, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Cruising has helped our son tremendously. He is 12 and has been on 14 (I think) cruises! Seeing other cultures, being exposed to new foods, etc., it has really been worthwhile.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, caribbean, celebrity, cruise, cruises, good, great, kids, line, rcc, royal, seas, ship, voyager, vs