Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 01:30 PM

We are traveling on Majesty of the Seas in April. Our flight arrives in Miami at 12:41pm and we set sail at 5:00pm. I am now very nervous that we do not have enough to time to get from the airport to the ship and have enough time to get booked in (I read somewhere you must be there 90 minutes ahead of time). I do not want to pay the $260 to change flights, but I will if need be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-02-2008, 06:11 PM

I would think that you would have plenty of time. The airport is not that far from the port. Did you book the flight through RCL?
Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 PM

RCI likes you to be there 60 minutes in advance, this gives a little flexibility. I don't think you will have any problems making it. You are not likely to be held up by bad weather. Enjoy.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:47 PM

I wouldn't worry. It's about a 25 minute ride from the airport to the port of Miami. Get a cab to take you there. If by some chance there is bad weather forecasted, the airlines will sometimes make arrangement with extra charges. I know Midwest does for people going on cruises. Are you flying non-stop? I wouldn't chance it that close if you have connecting flights.

Sonny

Sonny
Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 PM

Boy, I hate to be odd man out here but somebody has to play devils' advocate!! I would pay to have my flight changed to an early morning or even better, a late afternoon/early evening the day before. But, that is me. At the very least, do an early morning flight. I would hate for you to miss the cruise. If it is not through RCL, then you could do that. We just got back from our December cruise and we had several delays on our flight down. Nothing that would have made you miss the flight but you would start out your cruise feeling rushed.

Lets look at the times. You must be onboard 30 minutes early. That means 4:30 at the latest. By the time you get your luggage to a porter, give a tip, pay the cab and get inside and on the ship, you are looking at a minimum of 30 minutes. The time is now 4pm. Now, take into account the taxi ride from the airport and it is now 3:30pm. Go back even more to getting off the plane and rounding up your luggage. If you get it in 30 minutes and are outside waiting on a taxi, you will be very lucky. Now, you are at 3pm. You said you are scheduled to land at 12:41. In airline talk, that means that it will be after 1pm, guraranteed!! So, you now only have a 2 hour window to play with. On our flight to Miami, AFTER we were on the plane, we sat on the runway for nearly an hour because of a backlog of aircraft taking off. We were number 21 in line for departure!!! Talk about frustrating! If anything like that happens to you, now you only have an hour!

If everything goes without a hitch, you will be fine as the others have said. But, I gave you the devil's advocate approach because my luck usually runs that way!! My vote is to change the flight. My vote would be for a 10 am or earlier. Preferably 8 am. Remember, you can be on the ship before noon if all goes well on most cruises. Good luck either way.

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas
Old 01-03-2008, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Royal Caribbean recently changed their boarding window to 90 minutes, meaning you'll have to be checked in and actually onboard the ship by 3:30.

Here are a few things you can do if you don't change your flights. First, make sure you have travel insurance that will cover you for any type of flight delay. Read the fine print to make sure your airline is covered. (Actually, insurance is a must-have, anyway, as you never know what can happen to interrupt your cruise.) Now, insurance won't make them hold the ship, but it will help cover costs you incur as a result of the delay. Second, you can check in online through Royal Caribbean's Web site. This can be done at any time UP TO three days before the cruise. This will shave a few minutes off of the boarding process at the pier. Note that you will still have to show your IDs when checking in, so be sure to have those handy, and not in your checked luggage.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:58 PM

Worked for Delta Airlines for many years and can not tell you how many people I had to help reschedule their cruises due to weather delay's, mechanical etc. Logisticaly you have enough time to make it and RC is very effecient with their boarding process but you just never know what can happen. Do you have a connecting flight or a non stop? If a connecting flight you have to worry about your connecting city and hope that all is well.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:41 PM

I hate to be another odd man out also but my wife and i have always flown in the day before just like we are going to do in May for our Alaska cruise. With the airlines nowadays,I would not take a chance for only a 4 hour window and have to worry about missing my cruise to save $260.00.If everything goes as planned,you will be fine.This is just my opinion.Hope this helps.
CCL Elation 2005
CCL Pride 2006
RCCI Splendor 2006
RCCI Serenade Hawaii 2007
RCCI Serenade Alaska 2008
CCL Ecstasy 2008
RCCI AOS 2009
RCCI Voyager 2009
CCL Conquest 2010
CCL Ecstasy 2010
Old 01-21-2008, 08:26 AM

I am cruising on Mariner May 25. My flight was booked through RCCI to make it in time. Concerned about the new boarding time being 90 min. I have to travel from orlando to port canaveral. Is my transfer already taken care of and will I make it? any help thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 AM

Hi cheche, welcome to Cruise-Chat! If you booked everything though RCCL, you don't have to worry.

Sonny

Closed Thread