Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Administrator

I'm sure it was nice to have all these reserved areas and other perks, but I have to say I am concerned that RCI is taking things up a notch as far as diminishing the concept of classless cruising. Doing special things for suite guests is fine as long as they don't impact the other passengers. These new perks are quite visible as opposed to the more subtle perks of the past.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:57 AM

If you pay more you should get more. I just don't want it in my face that I am probably always going to be one of the people with, well, LESS.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 AM

I agree with Dave.I think Cunard has been doing this for a while,The separate classes on the Qe2. Am I to assume that anyone with a Grand Suite or above gets an invite to the Captains table for dinner?
Old 09-06-2008, 03:37 PM

A person that books a grand suite or higher will get perks that are included in the price of the suite, with concierge service being the best. It could be their first cruise and they would still get the perks. I've been in a grand suite and an owners suite and never knew of any other perks other than what I enjoyed as a diamond member. I was never invited to the Captains table when I was in a suite, but I've been invited several times when I wasn't. As a matter of fact, in April I was on a 15 night cruise, a diamond plus member, a stock holder, in a grand suite, and still didn't get an invite.

As a diamond member you can get priority tickets to the ice show, this simply means you don't have to stand in line to get them, the concierge gets them for you (just like you were in a suite). I've also sat in the chops lounge while having lunch in the Windjammer. When they run out of seating they will allow this. The alternative steak thing is NOT RCCL regular policy. They may be trying something on a certain ship, but it's not a fleet thing. The Hotel Director will often select people for what ever reason, to special treatment. I think this is when you'll see seats reserved. The people in the grand suites and above probably get bridge and galley tours also. I get them being a diamond plus member and I've usually been able to take friends along on tours after asking for permission.

Sonny
Old 09-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator

I think what Alfred was saying is that Portofino was open "just" for suite passenger seating and nobody else. He also said he didn't need a ticket for the ice show, he just had to flash his concierge card and could go to every show if he wanted.

This is the second instance of our hearing about these suite perks. I guess if it is more than a test we'll be hearing more about it. I do know it won't entice me to pay more for a GS. I've never had a problem getting tickets to the ice show I want, and since I prefer to eat in the dining room most of the time, seating isn't a problem for me either.

From reports I've read, the upscale steak is a test they are doing on a couple of ships.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:04 PM

All concierge card are the same. There is no cabin number or name on them. I talked to the diamond plus desk about the seating in Portofino's and was told there wasn't any policies like that. In 42 days I'll find out first hand if any of this is true.

Sonny
Old 09-07-2008, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
I'm sure it was nice to have all these reserved areas and other perks, but I have to say I am concerned that RCI is taking things up a notch as far as diminishing the concept of classless cruising. Doing special things for suite guests is fine as long as they don't impact the other passengers. These new perks are quite visible as opposed to the more subtle perks of the past.
There's something just rubs me wrong about having the segregation of people on the ship especially when it's at the expense of the general paying public. I wouldn't even approve if I were included in the group.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
I was on the Liberty at the end of July and have several issues with RCI. I was on the Freedom 9 months prior with a friend and had a wonderful experience. I could hardly contain myself to take my daughter who is 14 to celebrate my birthday. This cruise was my 10th cruise and was one disaster after another. It is true that the suite guests, diamond members get "the Royal treatment", while I had a midship Promenade stateroom that was never made up when we arrived nor cleaned. My cabin steward never introduced himself and rarely smiled. Surf and turf in the main dining room consisted of 3 shrimp and 2 slivers of inedible rubbery meat. I had to ask the waiter each day for the wine bottle that I ordered and what the name of it was, my daughter had to tell him each day that she wanted ice tea. He was extremely rude. We ate in Chops one night btw it is now 25.00 pp. It was delightful, the food was outstanding as was the service I had come to know and expect on my 3 RCI cruises. My daughter never got to ride the FlowRider and we we told to come back after midnight as it was booked all evening with private lessons or I could pay $60.00 for her to ride! We walked around in pants for 3 hours trying to get to skate, because they had so few hours that it was open to the passengers during the week. I wrote to Mr. Silverstein a two page letter about my experiences on the ship and received a letter back that I would get a 50.00 pp credit in the future when I book again. I spent over $5,000 for this trip for myself and my daughter, and will NEVER book a cruise with Royal Caribbean again. With the price of flights, hotel rooms the night before, car service from your home to the airport and back, taxis to the port and from the airport, luggage, fuel surcharges, putting ice cubes in the orange juice to stretch it out, 5 year old kids in the gym jumping on the equipment while in port and no one at the front desk to keep them out. I could go on and on about my disappointment with Freedom of the Seas..good luck to anyone going on the Oasis, that should be a complete joke. They didn't have enough crew to take care of the full boat on Liberty. Kids running through the corridors at 2 in the morning. NO ONE CARED
It doesn't surprise me that Andy got priority treatment in his suite...it used to be a wonderful way to travel before the airline industry decided to cancel flights at the last minute to force you to book a 200.00 hotel rooms the night before to ensure you made it ontime for embarkation, 600.00 pp round trip for flights, 200.00 for a car to and from the airport, 100.00 in cab fare, this is all before you step on the boat! $3200.00 for an inside Promenade room, overpriced excursions. The promenade turns into a flea market after the first day with all kinds of overpriced items. The food was mediocre at best, and I am not a picky eater. I was never so happy to get home from a vacation in all my life! I spent over $5,000 on this trip and will never book another Royal Caribbean cruise again. There were so many other things that went wrong, and no one cared! Bon Voyage RCI...
Old 09-09-2008, 03:15 AM

What where the attitudes of the other pax?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:50 AM
I sometimes think people want to be treated like Gods when on a cruise, relax enjoy it and dont expect the staff to have to bend and bow to your every need, they are doing their best, work very hard and long hours. Big deal if you had to tell the waiter that you wanted the same wine, or that you required ice tea! I dont see how you can be so upset! Cut them some slack and if you spent 5k on the cruise why did you not book a better room where you would get all the perks you obviously crave? Sorry for getting a little upset, but I dont like seeing people get undue criticism, and I blame PARENTS not RCCL staff for kids running around late at night.

Closed Thread

Tags
grand, interest, liberty, losing, oasis, one, perks, rapidly, review, seas, suite