Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Banned

Lisa... It's an investment. It's a bit on the pricey side, but, for me it's piece of mind and I don't have to constantly replace it, like I have other luggage in the past. It's a beautiful thing ! Have a good one.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by brneyes:
Andrea, do the twist ties for luggage look like the "regular" ties, only much stronger? Are they one color, or different colors?

You know, now that I am thinking of it, I don't know if that would work or not. The reason being, what am I going to cut them with ? I cannot carry sizzors or knife on the plane. When I want to get into my luggage, I don't want to have to wait on our room person to go get something to cut them with, unless you have another suggestion?

The cable ties come in different colors which I believe are based on size generally. They start at teeny sized ones (which I use for the dog's tags) to very large ones probably used in construction and the like.

As far as cutting them off, I have a pair of nail clippers in my purse and I'm good to go.

Erika
Mariner - Western - May 2007
Mariner - Eastern - March 2008
Old 03-30-2007, 10:11 AM

Andrea, unless I have "overlooked" it, I don't believe you have answered in regard to my question.

If I buy these twist/cable ties, how do they work? If I don't need sizzors or knife, how do you open them up?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:52 PM

LisaP, perhaps you cans answer, said you said you have used the twist ties before.

Do they work like the regular twist ties for trash bags, or how are they secured? How do you open them up?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:16 PM
They work like the regular trash bag ties: you twist them to close them and you twist them the other direction to open them.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 PM

We have been using the TSA approved locks - I bought a set at Target - very reasonable - under $6 - florescent colors too! We are happy with them - Carol
Old 04-01-2007, 10:58 AM

ok, I haven't been on a plane since 9-11. We have been on one cruise and we drove down. Didn't use locks for the cruise terminal - no problems.

What are the recommendations for security on the airlines and onto the ship?

I just assumed we couldn't lock our luggage so we were planning on leaving them open. I also thought about the cable ties but someone had a point- it you have nothing sharp what do you cut them with- I thought clippers were a no no- especially in your handbag.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 04-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Sorry for the delay, brneyes. I was away for the weekend and just returned.

There are two types of trash ties I'll use for luggage. One is the simple twist tie -- the very thin wire covered with paper or pliable plastic. These are the easiest to use as there's no need to cut anything. Twist them on, twist them off.

The other type is the pull-tie that often comes with lawn-and-leaf bags. There are pre-cut holes in them, and you just put one end through the holes and pull tight. These are more difficult as you do need a small pair of scissors or something else with which to cut them. I will do one or two things in this case -- either pack a small pair of scissors in an unlocked (or twist-tied) pocket of a checked bag, or ask for a pair of scissors at the hotel desk when I reach my destination.

Shelby, I do suggest securing your bags somehow, either through locking or the trash-tie method. I use the twist ties mainly as a way of deterrent -- it takes a bit of time to "untwist" the twist ties... the person might instead just move on to the next bag...
Old 04-02-2007, 07:54 AM

Carlg, thanks for the info. I did find the TSA locks, but did not find any twist ties/cables. I was hoping to find them both, so I could decide which I think would be the best for me. I did bring the locks to work, and to check out how they function. Hopefully they will have "instructions" on how to use the combination lock. There was none on the back of the package. It has been years since I have used the combination lock. In fact, after being out of high school, I used to have dreams of how I could NOT get my combination lock open, and be late for class.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 AM

Those ties sound find, except like I said before, I would have to have sizzors/knife or something to cut them with, and you cannot carry them on an airplane.

Closed Thread

Tags
antique, caribbean, cruise, hasp, line, locked, locks, luggage, norwegian, ok, royal, ties, tsa, twist, work