Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Luggage - locks (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/31566-luggage-locks.html)

brneyes 03-23-2007 02:38 PM

When going to the airport and checking in, is my question.

When picking up my ticket, and I give my luggage to the customer service person. Do I leave my luggage unlocked then, or do I go through security first, and then pick up my ticket?

brneyes 03-23-2007 02:38 PM

When going to the airport and checking in, is my question.

When picking up my ticket, and I give my luggage to the customer service person. Do I leave my luggage unlocked then, or do I go through security first, and then pick up my ticket?

LisaP 03-23-2007 04:41 PM

Hi brneyes. The order is pick up ticket/boarding pass -> check luggage at same desk --> then go to the security checkpoint with only your carry-on bag. You won't be able to go through security without a boarding pass. You'll also need to show photo ID when going through security, so be sure to not pack it in your checked luggage.

I lock my luggage before checking it at the desk.

brneyes 03-28-2007 02:14 PM

Lisap, I was told that it is better to have a TSA lock for the luggage that you are putting on the airline. They say it is the kind that security can open without a lot of problems, if need be.

I understand the locks cost about $6.00 or more a piece.

Have you heard of any of this?

carlg 03-28-2007 02:20 PM

brneyes. If you lock your luggage for the airlines, you must have TSA approved locks, otherwise, they will not allow you to lock the luggage.

Andrealovescruising 03-28-2007 02:34 PM

Or... they'll cut a big X right through your luggage like they did mine 2 years ago at the Newark, NJ Airport. THAT WAS FUN! NOT.

f-mattox 03-28-2007 03:12 PM

Why would they do that when a pair of side-cutters would snip off any luggage lock I've seen?

Andrealovescruising 03-28-2007 04:02 PM

Very good question f-mattox. One that we posed to the TSA that went unanswered. I'm guessing the baggage handler/TSA went postal that day. Although, TSA requested the luggage for inspection and gave us $250.00 for compensation and the inconvenience. Still was pretty embarrassing walking through Newark.

LisaP 03-28-2007 04:52 PM

Yes, we use TSA locks. We've also been known to use twist ties -- but haven't done that in a while.

Andrea, I'd be more than annoyed if TSA did that to my bags. I'm glad you received compensation, yet I agree that an answer to your question would have been nice, too.

BirdLady 03-29-2007 06:40 AM

Hubby and I started packing our non-TSA locks and locking hte luggage with cable ties. That way IF TSA wants to search they can cut a cable tie (we pack extras for the return trip). Then when we are at our destination, we use our locks that a thief would have to cut through (versus using a pin or one of just a hand full of simple keys for a TSA lock). Interstingly enough, we have yet to have them cut through any cable ties. I'm guessing we don't have anything interesting enough for them to waste their time.

Erika