Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 07:59 AM

My wife and I are arriving in Europe a day earlier than our cruise. To make everything easier we thought we'd stay at a hotel at the airport and take one of the cruise transfers the next day. However, our agent told us the cruiseline would only furnish transfers for passengers whose flights arrive on the day of the cruise. My agent advised me to tell the cruiseline we will be arriving on the day of the cruise and give the cruise line a flight number of a flight arriving on that day. Apparently, the cruiselines do not check flight manifesto's. But wait, we are told that we have to meet the people arranging the transfer at the baggage claim. I know nothing about Rome airport, but I assume this would nix the whole process. Does anyone have any other suggestions or am I stuck finding alternative transporation to the port?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:29 AM

Eddieg24,

rather than staying at an airport hotel, I would suggest taking the Leonardo Express train into Rome and to stay at a hotel there. Rome has so much much to offer that I wouldn't waste my time staying out near the airport.

From downtown Rome (Roma Termini station), there are regular trains to Civitavecchia from where your cruise is likely to depart. See here how easy it is to get from Rome to Civitavecchia by train (or vice versa).

Raoul Fiebig

Old 03-22-2008, 08:54 AM

That was my original plan but when I read of the difficulties getting off an on the train with the luggage and the problems with pilfering I thought I'd try an easier course. My wife and I are in our mid fifties and not quite in the shape we used to be in.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 PM

I see, Eddieg24. It can indeed be somewhat of a hassle having to handle the luggage.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 03-22-2008, 01:16 PM

Eddie- Why don't you just call the cruise line and tell them your plans and ask them if that is ok to do? I can't believe they would turn you down for a transfer if you are willing to meet them at the airport with the other passengers. They can't expect everyone to risk flying in the same day on an international flight. We are coming in the day before our cruise too (but we are staying in Rome like Raoul suggested) Again, as long as you are not expecting them to go out of their way to pick you up, I can't believe they won't allow you to take the transfer from the airport the day OF the cruise.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-23-2008, 05:08 AM

According to my agent they are very hard lined about this. It makes no sense to me. Nut they are unwilling to offer a trtansfer if I do not arrive the day of the cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, arrange, caribbean, carribean, cruise, hotel, port, rome, royal, transfers