Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2003, 10:50 AM

We're getting closer! I think that my husband and I are strongly considering the June 7th sailing of the Explorer. We plan to get a balcony cabin. Any comments about this ship and their balcony cabins would be much appreciated! Can you sit on the balcony and see the water or is the view obstructed by the railing and balcony wall? Any other opinions at all welcome!
Old 03-08-2003, 10:50 AM

We're getting closer! I think that my husband and I are strongly considering the June 7th sailing of the Explorer. We plan to get a balcony cabin. Any comments about this ship and their balcony cabins would be much appreciated! Can you sit on the balcony and see the water or is the view obstructed by the railing and balcony wall? Any other opinions at all welcome!
Old 03-08-2003, 11:09 AM

Hi! We just got back from Explorer last week! You will love this ship - it's awesome. We had a balcony room (on deck 7) and it was great. The view is only obstructed half way. You can sit on the balcony and still see the water, but if you wanted to look down, there's a wall. But, we had a great time and would highly recommend this ship. The balconies are very spacious - 2 chairs and a little table. One day, we sat on our balcony for an hour just to get sun - rather than going to the pool. Let me know if you have any other questions!!! Have fun - you will if you choose this ship!
Old 03-09-2003, 12:52 PM

Thanks, cship for the info! I wondered about whether or not you could actually sit on the balcony and get sun...although I suppose that could depend on the time of day and which side of the ship you're on...right? What cabin were you in? Any thoughts on best cabin position? We've always liked being near the middle of the ship. Which side of the ship faces the ports? Were you on that side? Are the balconies private or are there open spaces between yours and your neighbors as I think I've read? I would appreciate any other tips or comments that you would like to share. Would like to know about the ports of call, too. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2003, 12:44 PM

We will be going on June 7th for our honeymoon. We just booked today and are VERY excited. If you decide to go on this cruise be sure to let me know.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:23 PM

HI! Sorry for the delay - don't get to sit at my computer that much and do fun stuff like this.

About the balconies - we were in room 7452. I loved the location - it was near the elevators/stairs and it was so easy for us to walk right out our room and be near the promenade. I've also heard that it's best to have a room in the middle of the ship but when my travel agent booked this room, I was so happy that she got us close to the elev/stairs.

The balconies are a decent size - 4 people could comfortably sit on them but there are only 2 chairs and a little table. They are very much secluded - I mean, you can still hear your neighbors talking if they are loud but unless you leaned over the railing - you wouldn't see your neighbors at all. A lot of people are in their balconies when we leave port - and it's kind of fun - everyone is in a good mood and happy! We were on starboard side (is that right?) but I think Port side would have been nice as well. We had sun on our balcony going and then coming back home, it was shaded. So, either way, you'll get the sun, just depends on what side you are on!

Ports- Oh man, I'm like the budget queen so instead of paying for excursions the ship offers, I make my own plans. Someone else wrote that we have so many places to research (the internet/libraries, etc) that it's so easy to find some really good deals for a lot less. But this is a brief description of what my hubby and I did.

Puerto Rico - been there before and it's not one of my favorite islands so we just went into town and walked around/shopped. Don't be fooled about taking a taxi into town - it's only a hop and skip away from port. We were there only a couple of hours so we maybe walked around for 2 hours and then headed back to the ship.

St. Maarten - we rented mopeds and toured the island ourselves. Had a great time but I wouldn't suggest this if you don't feel comfortable riding a moped. We could stop off at any beach we wanted and drove up to forts to get some amazing views...so it was a fun day.

St. Thomas - hooked up with Coki Scuba Dive club and went scuba diving for the first time in my life. They are really great people and we had a blast. You can find them online at www.cokibeachdive.com But, it was quite the experience and if that's not your thing - you can go snorkeling at their private little niche.

Nassua - been there so many times - didn't want to do much but just walk around the straw market and find cheap t-shirts. If you haven't been to the Atlantis...I recommend going - it's a beautiful hotel and lots to see.

That's my summary. Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 03-30-2003, 04:34 AM

We've decided! We will be sailing on the Explorer on June 7th.

cship - Thanks for all of the info. My husband and I rented mopeds on St. Maartin many years ago on our first cruise. It was so much fun! Of course, we were about 12 years younger then and probably more adventurous! The ports you described are different than ours though. We are doing the western carib route.

I'm so excited!!
Old 03-30-2003, 01:17 PM

You will absolutely love the Explorer. It is a beautiful ship and lots and lots of fun.

We have not actually sailed the Explorer (just toured the ship), but have sailed the newer and larger sister ship, Navigator! While we have sailed quite a few ships, the Voyager class ship has by far been the most fun! There are always things to do and something for just about anyone's taste of fun.

The balcony staterooms are wonderful. Quite comfortable.

Food on Explorer is also good.

Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Closed Thread

Tags
balconys, explorer, port, seas, side, summary, sun