Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 12:31 PM

I am full of questions, I know. Since this is my first time cruising, I am wondering what I might expect as far as the roughness of the seas. I want to be sure to offset any motion sickness that may come my way. What is the best medicine? Patch? Drammamine? Ginger tablets? Any answers will be appreciated! P.S. I am trying to start a ticker and am anxious to see if it will work. LOL

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 PM

CAD1223, you'll probably not even notice the motion of the ship, unless there's a storm they can't get around. Ginger is a natural remedy that sailors used before there were patches, and dramamine or bonine. If you want to take some with you, health food stores carry ginger. Wal-Mart or K-Mart carry bonine. Not to worry though, they have stuff on board the ship if you don't have anything and are feeling the effects.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:33 AM
hi there,

It all depends on the size of ship you are on, Im just back from Voyager of the Seas and only on one night did I notice a rocking motion on the ship! Its wasnt that bad, nothing that would make you ill just rocking a little, the smaller the ship the more likely you will get motion sickness I believe,

Obvioulsy the weather has a lot to do with things also, Be aware when you leave the ship adn are walking down the street you may feel you are still on it with your 'sea legs' going a bit wobbly!!! Enjoy it and dont worry you will have a ball!
Old 10-02-2007, 05:13 AM

hi, i am also going on my 1st cruise on the 15th, i have been asking some people what to epect on the cruises, my hair stylist told me when he went he had used the patch and drammamine and they helped him alot. ... hope i helped

Free Cruise Tickers

Old 10-02-2007, 02:04 PM

Thank you for all the advice. I did pick up some dramamine and I am going to the health store for ginger. My hubby has gotten a prescription for a patch and we should be like a walking pharmacy by the time we leave! I am starting to get excited and the apprehension is quelling a little!
Old 10-02-2007, 02:26 PM
dont worry at all I cant see it being a problem for you! enjoy it!!
Old 10-02-2007, 02:31 PM
I often get motion sick, so I always get a prescription for the Transderm patch. Works like a charm!

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 10-02-2007, 03:08 PM

Cad1223,

Just remember this. If you decided to avail yourself of the benefits of the transderm prescription patch, it is best to appy the patch before you actually board (if I'm not mistaken, such as the night before or the morning of). Reportedly, the patch, while excellent when properly used, may have little little effect if you wait until the onset of symptoms to utilize it. I can't speak from firsthand experience because I've yet to suffer from this common malady, however my wife who does suffer from motion sickness, has used the patch (placing it behind her ear the morning of our cruise prior to boarding)and reports not being the least bit queasy. If you have any further questions, either your physician who prescribed it or your pharmacist would be the best folks to ask.

Hope this info helps.

SFC
Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

I find that apples work well for me in combating seasickness. They're in plentiful supply on the ship, act quickly, and have no side effects. As with other "treatments," everyone's results may be different. I've also tried ginger, and that worked, too.

CAD1223, chances are you won't need anything, but you're wise to be prepared.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:57 PM

I wonder what it is about apples that makes it work, that is interesting. I have used the patch before and I didn't put it on until I started feeling a bit queasy. I think the carpet with all the diamond patterns overloaded my brain as I was fine until going down to get dressed for supper. The ships are so stable that this is only a minor problem. Some folks think they are going to rock like the old deep sea fishing boats, they don't!!! I am prone to get motion sickness on any kind of rides that go round and round, so I think that is what makes me a little more sensitive. You are going to do fine. Good luck and have a great trip.

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, im, liberty, medicine, motion, nervous, patch, reviews, sea, seas, seasick, ship, sickness, time, treatment