Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 01:54 PM

This has been our third cruise 2 to Bahamas this one to Mexico. As far as we know her only allergies is Asthma and to strawberries.
One all three cruises(this one has been the worst) she has had an allergic reaction to something. Skin rash, redness, itchiness. Similar to her strawberry allergy but worst. And it went away within 24 hours of coming home. We are at a loss. Last time I thought it was the paypaya juice blend. But this time I kept her from the juices and she still got it.

We are trying to figure it out. I think it is either the strength of the sun there or that the cruise chips don't rinse their bedding well enough and it has too much bleach left in it.( I have an allergy to bleach but the sheets didn't bother me)

Any ideas?

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 12-26-2007, 02:23 PM
What a way to wreck a cruise....My wife has the completely different reaction....allergies to almost every kind of airborne pollen, except when we are on a cruise....no watery eyes, sneezing, etc....guess that's why we try to cruise 2 to 3 times a year.....Maybe your next cruise will be different....and you won't know unless you go:-)....Happy Cruising...

Bob E
Old 12-26-2007, 02:31 PM

same with me- my eczema is horrible except when cruising.

I forgot to write this is my 7 yr old daughter. It didn't bother her TOO much but it was still bothersome..plus we didn't know what was causing it so we didn't know if it would get worst... but it stayed with mild swelling, sandpaper rash, some itching. It seemed worse in the morning and got better as the day went on, thats why I thought sheets.. But I don't understand why it wouldn't bother me because my bleach allergy is pretty severe.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 12-27-2007, 06:06 AM

maybe fruit extracts in soaps (shampoo, body wash, hand soap, etc) provided by the cruise line?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 AM

I bring my own soap, lotion, and shampoo, as I often have some allergic reactions to those provided, and I know the ones I bring are ok for me. If your daughter's reaction is worse in the morning, it might be the sheets though, and I have no solution for that on the ships you have sailed. (If you go on Princess, or one of the Carnival or HA ships that have self service washers and dryers, you can rewash her bed linens with your detergent, or just run them through the whole wash and rinse cycle with no detergent, and ask your room steward not to change her linens. Sounds very bothersome, if it comes down to that being the cause, I would stick to ships outside of the RCL or Celebrity ownership, as most of the others have self service washers and driers.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:39 AM

Years ago I had the same problem at a hotel our inlaws always booked for us. I would break out only at that hotel. The only thing I could figure is they didn't rinse the bleach out well enough. It was a clean hotel just not rinsed well enough. I may try your hint next time and see if it improves.Or perhaps even bring one set of sheets with me.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09

Closed Thread

Tags
alergic, allergies, bahamas, carnival, cruise, cruiser, cruises, cruising, forum, ok, pollen, rash, rccl, reactions, reports, severe, skin